Alternating salt mixes?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just read where someone said that they alternate salt mixes between water changes. I tend to think most salt mixes are pretty good (I haven't known of very many "bad" mixes...and usually those don't stay in the market very long because people stop using them), so I'm not looking for healthy practice...I'm just wondering if this might be MORE beneficial. The argument made sense to me...they said that different salt mixes would each likely have different strengths, so they were alternating between 2 different mixes. Until now, I have been using Reef Crystals, but now I'm thinking about maybe alternating that with Red Sea Coral Pro every other water change. Thoughts?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it's a total waste of $$$ :) Plus I would think it would cause an imbalance in parameters, swings so to speak.
Then again I'm all for Keeping It Simple! :)

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself am contemplating using instant ocean and reef crystals at the same time by using approx 5 gal worth of each to balance out the higher levels of r/c with the lower levels of I/O. I like r/c but it just seems like some of the params are a bit high and I know of at least one experienced reefers who has had great success with just instant ocean though he does have to add cal/mag to it.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Reef Crystals for 4yrs. Never an issue! Seeeeee!!!! Lol
uzuve6er.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with Redsea Pro is it does not disolve completely even when mixed per instructions. When i mixed up a batch i let it sit for 3 hours heated it and it checked out at 1.025 same as my tank. After doing a water change now it is at 1.030.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born and breed on Reef Crystals, but I’m slowly switching over to Instant Ocean. I want to be able to better control my alk and calc. When using RC only, my calc was through the roof. I'm currently doing a 1/3 IO to 2/3 RC to slowly switch over to IO only.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back