Alternative reagent for Alk monitor, KH Director and prob others

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not located in the USA. This hcl 0.1m solution is available locally. Will this work?

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_142459.jpg
    IMG_20210908_142459.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 93

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to .1N acid from Amazon. I went ahead and got a 4L bottle this last time.

Make sure you check the label when you receive it. I spent a couple weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my KHD before I realized Amazon had shipped me sodium hydroxide .1N instead of hydrochloric acid.
This is the confirmation I was looking for. Sodium hydroxide isn’t working for me, so I’m off to order some of the right stuff now.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Used it for 2+ years, still going strong
Awesome!! I was just making sure it didn’t have any negative effect on any tubing inside or anything like that, I like my alk to be stable so testing 6 times a day is a must! I’m glad that you have been using it that long with no issues, thank you for replying

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I was just making sure it didn’t have any negative effect on any tubing inside or anything like that, I like my alk to be stable so testing 6 times a day is a must! I’m glad that you have been using it that long with no issues, thank you for replying
I have been testing 8X day, 2+ years no issues so far

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using the Amazon .1N acid currently. I haven't seen any long term issues from using it. It's very similar (if not identical) to the GHL reagent.
I wish we had a way to actually test what the reagent was made out of, I was going to by the stuff from Amazon but the 4 liters is out of stock still, you didn’t see any divination from GHL reagent to the 0.1 hydrochloric acid in testing?

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we had a way to actually test what the reagent was made out of, I was going to by the stuff from Amazon but the 4 liters is out of stock still, you didn’t see any divination from GHL reagent to the 0.1 hydrochloric acid in testing?
We all have been using the same 0.1M HCL for years.. and even if you see any deviation you can always test with the 7.5dKH reference and adjust from there

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you need to make any convertion ? In example, the kh keeper is using a 0.02N acid, if we add the 0.1N, it would use much less reagent but the final results would be wrong, because kH calculated based on 1ml at 0.1N is different than 10ml at 0.02N

Alkabot (on github) has a math formula (that I don't understand) to adjust when changing the molarity

Back