Alternative to a custom drop-off aquarium idea?

saejogi

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 19, 2022
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Location
73505
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea. I've always wanted a drop off aquarium but getting them pre made these days aren't too common unless its custom. I love the idea of playing around with height in an aquascape. There's an idea in my head that I would like fleshed out. I was thinking about using an acrylic box and placing it inside a say standard 40 gallon breed tank. The acrylic box will be filled with sand and will behave like a shelf as a drop off tank would have. The sand inside the box would also act as a deep sand bed. Is this viable or would there be new problems vs just getting a drop off aquarium? I figured it would use a lot of sand to create that height.

Another idea would be to create a shelf using a safer material like biobricks and carving the top layer into a bowl to fill with sand.

Below is my attempt at a visual with paint lol.

reef idea.png
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I don't personally see any issues with your plan there, but I'm definitely not an expert, so hopefully someone will chime in if they notice something.
 
IMG_20231107_151504743.jpg
IMG_20231107_151515671.jpg
IMG_20231107_151453448.jpg

I believe what you want to do can work. My tank has 3 levels, a 1 inch sand bed on the left side, a 6+ inch sand bed on the right and an even deeper sanded where the anemones are since they are on a structure that has a retaining wall of live rock around it and it rests on the deep sand bed.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20231107_151453448.jpg
    IMG_20231107_151453448.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 62

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new