Aluminum Canopy, safe?

nukebahb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
This is actually my first post on R2R, even though I have been following for years.
I'm currently in the slow process of building a 220g reef tank.
The canopy design isn't going to be floating, it will be resting on the plastic trim. I'm considering of 3D printing custom inserts to keep the aluminum off of the actual trim and it will help keep it in place. It will have an 80/20 (anodized aluminum) skeleton frame with wood paneling attached to the exterior. All of the hardware I will be using will be stainless or plastic.
My concern is that the aluminum would start corroding, being close the water surface and the salt air (system will have fans on top to keep air moving through the canopy). Has anyone had any experience with this? I've never used 80/20 for any of my aquarium builds, but i've used it a ton at work.

Thank you,
Bob

As a side note don't know if many people have heard of Button-Fix, but this is what I'm intending on using to mount the wood panels and my stands cabinet doors. As I can't stand having to work around cabinet doors when working on my aquarium.
Button-fix-type-2.jpg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking of something kind of like this?
IMG_7247.JPG

The 80/20 aluminum is anodizes so it does not corrode. IMO you won't have a problem using it.
Oh yeah, one more thing.... Welcome to the party!!

OP
OP
N

nukebahb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking of something kind of like this?
IMG_7247.JPG

The 80/20 aluminum is anodizes so it does not corrode. IMO you won't have a problem using it.
Oh yeah, one more thing.... Welcome to the party!!

Thank you, that is what I expected but wanted input from someone has already tried it. I was able to find info about using 80/20 for stands, but not a full canopy.

giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!
I would just watch the screws and fasteners for rust. 80/20 is good stuff imo.

I was able to reach out to 80/20 and they do provide stainless hardware, but it's only a "303 or 304 grade depending on what vendor they use". I might just order 316 screws from another vendor, as they are marine grade.

Thank you both

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back