aluminum framed screened tops???

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i currently have glass tops on my 150 gal. there are 3 tops because of the two support/dividers. I want to make a screen top for them because of the glass seemed somehow etched and won't clean off. anyway I also hear that the glass does not let the full spectrum through, and cuts down on the par. My concern is that all the screen kits have aluminum frames and corner pieces. Isn't aluminum bad for the water quality? or is it an issue since it's not actually in the water?? does anybody make the frames out of plastic?

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS ones have good acrylic mesh but the price is pretty high.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the BRS mesh along with the Aluminum screen kit from the big box stores. They have been over my 225 for years with no issues. I couldn't find translucent screening local so had to buy it on line. With BRS offering free shipping now the cost is reasonable.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about stainless steel mesh and frames, cost more but should be solid not flimsy, has anyone tried that

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about stainless steel mesh and frames, cost more but should be solid not flimsy, has anyone tried that
What do you mean solid?
The mesh is pretty tight if you do the frame right.
I can sit some heavy stuff on it and it doesn't say much.

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brs kit comes with alot of screen, so I think it's worth the price. I'm doing a second tank with that screen, just need to buy the frame. I also used some screen to screen off the back of my canopy so fish can't jump out, yet allow heat to escape

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brs kit comes with alot of screen, so I think it's worth the price. I'm doing a second tank with that screen, just need to buy the frame. I also used some screen to screen off the back of my canopy so fish can't jump out, yet allow heat to escape
You know I didint even think about that. I still have a whole thing of that mesh left plus extra and I have done 2 tanks with it. Still have one more tank to do.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean solid?
The mesh is pretty tight if you do the frame right.
I can sit some heavy stuff on it and it doesn't say much.
WOW! tough crowd, hey i was responding to the guy that was talking about aluminum, did not mean to affend

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! tough crowd, hey i was responding to the guy that was talking about aluminum, did not mean to affend
Not offended, just simply asking a question. I have never heard of the stainless steel mesh so I was wondering.

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just thought that alumumium and even stainless steel might have a reaction to the salt water and since they do have a aluminum level in the triton test, that it would be adding to that level, which of course is bad. or not???? and to the person who quoted the plastic kits at home depot, I have never seen one made of plastic, have anybody else. please post link if so. all I ever see is the aluminum.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 to 60 dollars for the BRS kit is far from pricey! I actually can't believe the kit is so cheap when it's something that will guarantee to keep your hundreds of if not thousands of dollars worth of most likely cared for live fish from being found dried up dead on the floor!

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the kits from HD, no idea if the aluminum is bad. I haven't put it together yet & wouldn't you know it, my 6+ yr old purple tang decided to take floor vacation.

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone left some screen hang over on the back to cover the inch where the return outlet and overflow box are? The first one I made I tried making the frame go around the two but it made the screen a lot less sturdy and I'm about to make one for my big tank so I want it to be as sturdy as possible

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 54 42.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.5%
Back