Aluminum Removal?

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a decent size aquaculture business with lots of frags. I use ceramic plugs, and as a result the system has quite a bit of Aluminum in it. Large water changes are not able to keep up with it and when it gets to high I have had STN events with acros and my leathers close up. After a large 75% water change it takes a good week or two for them to open up back up. I am not 100% sure this is from Aluminum but I would like to eliminate this as a potential cause. Does anyone know if there is some type of media available that absorbs aluminum?

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only zeolite can be used to adsorbs metals by mechanical filtration
Other way algae

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after the cleaning, why not use plugs made from a different material? it looks the plugs might be hurting your business and they are a very small part of the cost per frag.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly filter (coarse foam media) media supposedly removes metals, that could also be an option? How much al do you have?

I don't think it is successful with aluminum from seawater.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly haven't had any success in picking up Al from seawater with a polyfilter. At least not the form it was in.

If its desired to lower Al I'd suggest removing the source and water changes with lower Al content then the water it's replacing.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just remembered the Triton folks, at least the owner, believes GFO removes some Al or at least he stated this at one time in the past. I don't know if it's true or if their stance has changed or not.

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read Eshan (triton) state that using GFO will remove the Al and using Al phos media will remove the Iron accumilation from GFO so should be alternated between changes when running for phosphate removal

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read Eshan (triton) state that using GFO will remove the Al and using Al phos media will remove the Iron accumilation from GFO so should be alternated between changes when running for phosphate removal

Which is odd to me. From what I understand the Triton method promotes a thick multi variety macro algae diverse section in the sump or refugium. Iron would be desirable. I would think they would promote GFO only and potentially iron dosing. I see no benficial need for Al. And I'm not sure GFO can even remove Al effectively or at all. I know Randy has commented on this before but can't remember the answer given right now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is odd to me. From what I understand the Triton method promotes a thick multi variety macro algae diverse section in the sump or refugium. Iron would be desirable. I would think they would promote GFO only and potentially iron dosing. I see no benficial need for Al. And I'm not sure GFO can even remove Al effectively or at all. I know Randy has commented on this before but can't remember the answer given right now.

I don't recall exactly either, but it wasn't enough to convince me to recommend the two media approach where they recommend alternative GFO and aluminum oxide..

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's probably because they want you to buy iron supplements from them...using only GFO would negate the need.. Not a cynic at all..

kfordy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a decent size aquaculture business with lots of frags. I use ceramic plugs, and as a result the system has quite a bit of Aluminum in it. Large water changes are not able to keep up with it and when it gets to high I have had STN events with acros and my leathers close up. After a large 75% water change it takes a good week or two for them to open up back up. I am not 100% sure this is from Aluminum but I would like to eliminate this as a potential cause. Does anyone know if there is some type of media available that absorbs aluminum?
I have cultured thalassiosira weissflogii to use in a mixed blend with phytoplankton to remove heavy metals ( with aluminium) from my reef tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back