Always Amazed By This Hobby

13rodo

Lord of the Reefs
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Messages
804
Reaction score
1,208
Location
Denver
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Video in a later post!

Sorry in advance for not taking a picture...

I wanted to add a few pitho crabs to the tank, so I added some to my last coral order. In QT, I noticed one of them had this pulsating flap on the bottom. My first thought was "is this some parasite". Boy was I wrong! Turns out it's a female with a batch of eggs and she moves water around them by flapping that pouch. I had never even thought about it. How cool!
 
Last edited:
Nature is honestly the coolest and craziest thing ever. Would love to see a picture if you can manage to get one soon!
 
Nature is honestly the coolest and craziest thing ever. Would love to see a picture if you can manage to get one soon!
Agreed! I'll try and grab one when she comes back out. She's hiding right now and I don't want to mess with her.
 
Nature is honestly the coolest and craziest thing ever. Would love to see a picture if you can manage to get one soon!
Got a video! She got promoted out of QT a bit early :) My Chalk Bass got a little bit jealous that I wasn't taking a video of it and swam in front of the camera :-P One thing that surprised me was how small her claws are since I thought female pitho crabs look closer to emerald crabs.
 
Got a video! She got promoted out of QT a bit early :) My Chalk Bass got a little bit jealous that I wasn't taking a video of it and swam in front of the camera :-P One thing that surprised me was how small her claws are since I thought female pitho crabs look closer to emerald crabs.
That’s pretty awesome! Thanks for getting a video.
 
My big question now is if it'd be possible to actually raise them to maturity?
 
Got a video! She got promoted out of QT a bit early :) My Chalk Bass got a little bit jealous that I wasn't taking a video of it and swam in front of the camera :-P One thing that surprised me was how small her claws are since I thought female pitho crabs look closer to emerald crabs.
So awesome!!! Great video of it!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new