Am I crazy for thinking about this fish?

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little backstory. I have a 66g display 75g total volume. Been running approximately one month.
only two occelaris in so far although lfs has some bengai on order for me. I have been researching my stock list and also plan on adding:

Royal gamma basslet 1
Firefish goby 1 or bonded pair
filefish
On top of the pair of clowns and cardinals
Here’s where I need help, I plan on adding a wrasse and have really been looking at a lot, kinda want a “centerpiece” as I originally was thinking a angel but kinda been drooling over the coral so want to go a different direction now.

This rhomboid really caught my eye. The site says it’s “expert” but every other site says it’s more moderate-easy.

the other sites don’t have one that to my eye are as pretty as that one.
The problem is that’s a 300$ fish. Before I started this endeavor I would have balked at the idea of spending that much, for whatever the reason it’s pulling on my heartstrings.
So tell me bad idea?

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ECAE2EDF-20E9-48AF-AA28-8F4502A1B321.jpeg

here’s the one!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little backstory. I have a 66g display 75g total volume. Been running approximately one month.
only two occelaris in so far although lfs has some bengai on order for me. I have been researching my stock list and also plan on adding:

Royal gamma basslet 1
Firefish goby 1 or bonded pair
filefish
On top of the pair of clowns and cardinals
Here’s where I need help, I plan on adding a wrasse and have really been looking at a lot, kinda want a “centerpiece” as I originally was thinking a angel but kinda been drooling over the coral so want to go a different direction now.

This rhomboid really caught my eye. The site says it’s “expert” but every other site says it’s more moderate-easy.

the other sites don’t have one that to my eye are as pretty as that one.
The problem is that’s a 300$ fish. Before I started this endeavor I would have balked at the idea of spending that much, for whatever the reason it’s pulling on my heartstrings.
So tell me bad idea?
welcome to reefing.
i wouldn't say you're off the wall for admiring a fairy wrasse, they're beautiful!
fairy's are generally peaceful fish so provided you have a screen on your tank and manage your water well i don't see an issue.
ps. this won't be the last time you have a consideration of something worth $300 in this hobby lol

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my centerpiece Neon dottyBack. Cost 21.99 range 20 t0 $ 40. you should see him under purple lite. WOW, Add last or get small.
Almost no aggression and if there is the bicolor blenny gets in the middle.
20210202_120848.jpg
20210202_120855.jpg
20210108_115246.jpg

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rubberfrog Ask stupid questions get stupid answers jk :)

I know adding that expensive of a fish this soon is not the brightest move, I guess I was wondering is it inherently more difficult than other wrasse as per my conflicting information.

also they appear to be fairly rare from what I can see. Or do they come up fairly often?

I have virtually no local support, I will try to use my lfs because I want him to survive, but the place leaves a lot to be desired. My Fish purchases will have to be online after my bengai show up.

the ability of this hobby to separate me from my $ is really something...and I just started!

hambandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have virtually no local support, I will try to use my lfs because I want him to survive, but the place leaves a lot to be desired. My Fish purchases will have to be online after my bengai show up.

Where at in MO specifically? There are several very knowledgeable guys down in the Springfield area

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey neighbor! Rhomboids don't ship well which could be why a site listed them as "expert". Your planned stock list will be fine with a rhomboid. If that pic is the actual wrasse you're getting you'll be disappointed to know that he'll loose some of that color saturation if he's the only wrasse in the tank. Rhomboids are very peaceful so if you decide to add another fairy wrasse please check out evolved's thread for compatibility: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

One last thing, rhomboids are skittish and prone to spinal injuries from darting into the things so I would recommend having a screen top. Good luck and post pics if you get one!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back