Am I crazy for thinking MH + t5 ?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that each pair of T5 will add about 50-75 PAR each due to the 18" height. If you were closer, like 9" it would 100 PAR each pair.

I would chose T5s with some white due to the Radiums blue color. But that's me.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that each pair of T5 will add about 50-75 PAR each due to the 18" height. If you were closer, like 9" it would 100 PAR each pair.

I would chose T5s with some white due to the Radiums blue color. But that's me.
The aquablue special was supposed to be more white I thought

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Plus is better to grow corals...
Coral Plus is bluish/whiter...
Aquablue special has red in it.
Grandis.

They both have red, the ABS has a bit more red and a lot more yellow/green. Normally I would agree the coral is the one to get but since he has 20k halides the ABS is not a bad choice if you don't want super blue look. I may have gone with one purple instead.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The truth is the T5s aren't going to do a ton compared to the 400w halides. They are strictly dusk/dawn or fine tuning the color to the eye. Add in that Giesemann reflectors are sub par (pun intended) and no cooling, there will be a modest increase in PAR that isn't even needed.

Personally, I'd turn the T5s off while the halides are on. Use them for night time viewing or working in the tank so you don't fry your arms under the halides.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is the T5s aren't going to do a ton compared to the 400w halides. They are strictly dusk/dawn or fine tuning the color to the eye. Add in that Giesemann reflectors are sub par (pun intended) and no cooling, there will be a modest increase in PAR that isn't even needed.

Personally, I'd turn the T5s off while the halides are on. Use them for night time viewing or working in the tank so you don't fry your arms under the halides.
With the Radiums that would be a great option and would save lots of hours of the T5 bulbs!!!
I agree.
Grandis.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. In that case, 2 blue plus and 2 actinic.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure? If it's dawn/dusk it won't matter. I run that combo on my fixture with 20k halides. Hamilton bulbs though.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure? If it's dawn/dusk it won't matter. I run that combo on my fixture with 20k halides. Hamilton bulbs though.
Yeah, I was just curious because I would get the fixture and run 2 Coral Plus on one channel and 2 Blue Plus on the other...
But using both for dusk, yeah... the 2 Blue Plus/ 2 True actinic would be my choice.
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think standard is 1 cord for all bulbs. My Spectra was modified by the previous owner and I have 2 channels thankfully
That's great! Did the previous owner modify only that part?
Grandis.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back