Am I dealing with Chrysophytes?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate?
Not a smell in particular for diagnosis, there would be an obvious "low tide" or just bad smell in the house, when normally there is no smell to the reef aquarium.

That can go along with many other things I'm sure, but for me it was definitely when I had the outbreaks.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a smell in particular for diagnosis, there would be an obvious "low tide" or just bad smell in the house, when normally there is no smell to the reef aquarium.

That can go along with many other things I'm sure, but for me it was definitely when I had the outbreaks.
Got it. Thanks :)

OP
OP
brian222

brian222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to give some updates after 1 month of battling with the problem, I think the majority if not all the Chrysophytes in my system are gone.
1678038834761.png

I have done a list of actions as the treatment:

1) Lower light intensity to about 60% of the previous, and shorten the light schedule from 9 hours to 6 hours.

2) 40W UV 24/7

3) 3 times 20% weekly WC, I brushed all rock surfaces each time and remove the majority of the debris from the system.

4) increased feeding, 1 cube of frozen mysis shrimp, and 1 large sheet of seaweed each day, also reduced skimmer running time by 50% to couple with the feeding to try to raise NO3 and PO4.

I also did an ICP test and it confirms there is an elevated level of silicon in my system:

1678039524081.png

And there is no detectable silicon in my RODI water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back