Am I doing it right? Red Sea Supplement

TLKAg87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to reefing. I have had my 75 gal tank right at one year. I now have a handful of coral in the tank. Leathers, zoas, mushrooms and LPS. The leathers (2) are big, zoas have a pretty good colony going now. I bought some Red Sea supplement liquid, and have been dosing manually. I'm trying to keep the Alkalinity at around 8, but it is dropping to 7.3 to 7.5 almost daily. I am putting 15 to 20ml of Alk supp in the sump very slowly almost every night. I just pour a little bit at a time in between the last baffles prior to the return pump. Ca and Mg are holding pretty steady at 380 and 1280. When I dose Ca and Mg, I do the same thing by slowly pouring the liquid supp into the sump. I've not noticed any precipitation.

I have read the "two part" articles, and just can't seem to grasp that concept. I'm still intimidated by the whole dosing process. Am I doing it right?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you need to add enough each day so that the levels remain constant for whichever parameter your concerned about and you can just pour it into the sump as with 75g you will be fine.

You will make life much easier if you get an auto doser to do it for you and then just check and adjust the amounts each week

Your calcium and magnesium are a little low but it depends what your aiming for.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing manually until I get tired and got two BRS dosing pumps to dose ATI Essential Pro. I dose the two parts an hour apart to avoid precipitation.

OP
OP
TLKAg87

TLKAg87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you need to add enough each day so that the levels remain constant for whichever parameter your concerned about and you can just pour it into the sump as with 75g you will be fine.

You will make life much easier if you get an auto doser to do it for you and then just check and adjust the amounts each week

Your calcium and magnesium are a little low but it depends what your aiming for.
Shaun,
thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your input. I will start saving up for an auto doser, but in the meantime, I will keep doing what I am doing. In your opinion, what is a good number for Ca and Mg?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your input. I will start saving up for an auto doser, but in the meantime, I will keep doing what I am doing. In your opinion, what is a good number for Ca and Mg?

Personally I go for

Alkalinity 8
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1320-1400 (I don’t mind this higher as it facilitates things)

Also take a look on the Red Sea site, I would have recommended the mixed reef numbers but their alkalinity is on the high side for me and I have done those levels for over 12 months on their accelerated growth program

This is a very good guide on all sorts of parameters for you

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back