Am I doing this right?

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Later today some local reefers I met online are stopping by to help me get me new WaterBox 5526 (170g total volume) on its stand. I’ve been keeping small tanks for the past 8-9 years and am finally stepping up to a larger tank. I’ve made note of the order I plan to do things in regarding the cycle and would like some guidance if I’m doing this right?

After the tank is on the stand...

Day 1: Install plumbing and equipment.
Day 2: Add rock, rinsed sand, and water. (I’m limited to 75 gpd per my RODI unit). Turn heater on once water is present.
Day 3: Add water.
Day 4: Add water.
Day 5: Add water and filter socks. Turn on return and MP40s.
Day 6: If water is clear, remove filter socks and dose Fritz TurboStart 900.
Day 7: Test water then dose NitroCycle.
Day 8 and until cycle is complete: Test water and dose NitroCycle if needed.

After Cycle

Day 1: Add pods, phyto, and coralline.
Day 2: Order CUC and List 1 from LiveAquaria.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Respectfully,

Keith

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good except i don’t see a source of ammonia to start the cycle unless that’s the fritz turbo start you’re talking about. I’ve only ever used dr tims bacteria and ammonia chloride

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good except i don’t see a source of ammonia to start the cycle unless that’s the fritz turbo start you’re talking about. I’ve only ever used dr tims bacteria and ammonia chloride

For an ammonia source I’ll be using NitroCycle. It’s an inorganic ammonia source that I’m assuming is the same if not similar to Dr. Tim’s ammonia, and is made by AlgaeBarn.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add a clean up crew so quickly. The herbivores in your clean up crew need something to eat. Add them gradually as you get algal growth. Other kinds of clean up crew eat scraps of uneaten food. Again don’t add them until there is actually something in the tank for them to eat.

By the way, suggested clean up crews have far too many animals than a tank of the suggested size needs.

For herbivores, once you see algae, you might add about 5 small turbo snails and see how they do.

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add a clean up crew so quickly. The herbivores in your clean up crew need something to eat. Add them gradually as you get algal growth. Other kinds of clean up crew eat scraps of uneaten food. Again don’t add them until there is actually something in the tank for them to eat.

By the way, suggested clean up crews have far too many animals than a tank of the suggested size needs.

For herbivores, once you see algae, you might add about 5 small turbo snails and see how they do.
In regard to size of CUC, I only plan to add the 55 gallon pack from LiveAquaria. I’ve experienced too much die-off of CUCs in previous tanks and definitely keep them to a minimum. That whole 1 member per gallon approach is overkill to me too.

Regarding their food, once the cycle is done I planned to move over 25-30 lbs of rock from my 3 year old nano. Would that change your outlook or can I spot/ghost feed the CUC? TIA.

2CA3A685-1614-4036-98D7-CB26F1EBF901.jpeg

Greenlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an ammonia source I’ll be using NitroCycle. It’s an inorganic ammonia source that I’m assuming is the same if not similar to Dr. Tim’s ammonia, and is made by AlgaeBarn.

I have this turbostart 900 and nitrocycle but wasn't sure if I needed ammonia as well. Did this work for you? Also can use a established rock instead of pure rock?

OP
OP
CheckeredPants

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this turbostart 900 and nitrocycle but wasn't sure if I needed ammonia as well. Did this work for you? Also can use a established rock instead of pure rock?
I don’t know if I’d add the NitroCycle to established rock. I waited for the cycle to finish before moving over the live rock I had with corals on it.

Greenlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’d add the NitroCycle to established rock. I waited for the cycle to finish before moving over the live rock I had with corals on it.

Right I put over a rock that didn't have any coral or anything on ot just rock. You think that would have mattered? The aiptasia was out and about on it. Thats all I could see was on the rock.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regard to size of CUC, I only plan to add the 55 gallon pack from LiveAquaria. I’ve experienced too much die-off of CUCs in previous tanks and definitely keep them to a minimum. That whole 1 member per gallon approach is overkill to me too.

Regarding their food, once the cycle is done I planned to move over 25-30 lbs of rock from my 3 year old nano. Would that change your outlook or can I spot/ghost feed the CUC? TIA.

2CA3A685-1614-4036-98D7-CB26F1EBF901.jpeg
why don't you just move the 30lbs of rock over right now? that will speed the cycle up, maybe even instant cycle the tank especially if is already established rock. just make sure the salinity and the temp is on point and you shouldn't have any issues with it. and then you can avoid the ammonia guessing....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back