DAY 12 - FISHLESS CYCLE/CHECKINg parameters

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm it seems your missing the ATO compartment?

There is usually a small "tank" above the sump for holding RO/DI. And yes that ball valve in the back corner is for the ATO.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is your typical red sea sump area. The small "tank" above the sump is the ATO container.

oldsump.JPG

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATO is your best bet. Something mechanical.

Plethora of options out there. From red sea, to tunze, to auto aqua. Just google "Automatic top off reef tank".

Tunze is the gold standard FYI.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just an FWIW......

Your sump looks a little over full. It should not be above that float valve. It looks like your negating the bubble traps? Water is just flowing over the bubble traps between the first and second chamber.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely missing that
Did you get your tank used? Maybe you can get hold of the folks who you got it from and see if they missed getting it to you? I looked up the manual for your tank and it shows how to set up the ATO. (I'm not familiar with that tank at all, but I'm sure there are a lot of folks here that could answer any questions you might have on it.

If you can't get your hands on the original ATO, highly recommend Tunze brand. For a reservoir, you can use anything that holds water.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, If you top off manually, which is perfectly acceptable, you use the water level of the chamber your return pump is in. You want to keep that at the same level. As water evaporates that level will go down. Also, when you add water to the system, that level will go up. (Like when you do a water change and put back more water than you took out. You need to be mindful of that new level, up or down and make any adjustments you need to after a water change)

That's why an automatic top off is nice. Just set the sensor at the proper level in the return chamber and your all set.

Sorry if all this is pretty obvious and I've been redundant, but that stuff took me a while to figure out :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

OP
OP
G

gabrielquissak32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, If you top off manually, which is perfectly acceptable, you use the water level of the chamber your return pump is in. You want to keep that at the same level. As water evaporates that level will go down. Also, when you add water to the system, that level will go up. (Like when you do a water change and put back more water than you took out. You need to be mindful of that new level, up or down and make any adjustments you need to after a water change)

That's why an automatic top off is nice. Just set the sensor at the proper level in the return chamber and your all set.

Sorry if all this is pretty obvious and I've been redundant, but that stuff took me a while to figure out :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:
Oh mate that’s super helpful! Once we understand it does seems obvious but as I’m new to the hobby it was kinda hard to understand but once you know it’s for life. Awesome to learn all these things. Thanks again

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not meant to be mean but if you started this tank and are ready to add fish and do not even no about evaporation and salinity levels increasing and have no knowledge of ATO units you really may want to consider researching some more before even considering adding livestock. JMO

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh mate that’s super helpful! Once we understand it does seems obvious but as I’m new to the hobby it was kinda hard to understand but once you know it’s for life. Awesome to learn all these things. Thanks again
Glad to help. One of the best things about this hobby, I think, is there is always something to learn. And this is a great place to do it.

Never stop asking questions!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back