Am I killing corals with light?

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to guess from the pics, I would say that the tank is not yet ready for coral. It is still dealing with the ugly stage.
This is my guess as well. Lack of stability over the earlier life of the tank might have extended the ugly stage and the tank isn’t ready to support the corals.

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, how does your tank smell?
What are you doing for water movement? How did you plumb your tank, filters, pipes, etcetera? Your corals look miserable, not from lighting, but from pollutants in the water. Do you have a protein skimmer? Forgive me if I missed some details on your tank. IF your basics are good, ie nitrates, phosphates, pH, etc, then I wonder if there is something contaminating the water. Something as mundane as sealant or teflon in the plumbing can do this.

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40G tank running a 250 MH and x2 Reef Brite XHO. Par has been measured at 700-900 a few inches from the surface and at the bottom of the tank 350.

I don't believe you're over illuminating your tank. Rather, water chemistry is the culprit

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back