Am I killing corals with light?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TWYOUNG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
If I have to guess from the pics, I would say that the tank is not yet ready for coral. It is still dealing with the ugly stage.
This is my guess as well. Lack of stability over the earlier life of the tank might have extended the ugly stage and the tank isn’t ready to support the corals.
 
Curious, how does your tank smell?
What are you doing for water movement? How did you plumb your tank, filters, pipes, etcetera? Your corals look miserable, not from lighting, but from pollutants in the water. Do you have a protein skimmer? Forgive me if I missed some details on your tank. IF your basics are good, ie nitrates, phosphates, pH, etc, then I wonder if there is something contaminating the water. Something as mundane as sealant or teflon in the plumbing can do this.
 
I have a 40G tank running a 250 MH and x2 Reef Brite XHO. Par has been measured at 700-900 a few inches from the surface and at the bottom of the tank 350.

I don't believe you're over illuminating your tank. Rather, water chemistry is the culprit
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new