Am I messing up my Kalk reactor??

BaileysTank

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2021
Messages
168
Reaction score
42
Location
America
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I doing Kalk wrong?

Hey everyone, quickly wanted to ask a few questions on kalk. Firstly I like to say that I have a kalk reactor and I dos it heavily into my tank. This being said, my kalk reactor will keep up with the tanks consumption for a week then it will just slowly stop keeping up. I understand kalk loses its potency over time but this seems way to quick? I know I’m not giving all the information but I thought I’d ask a general question and see if I’m just being dumb or if some further investigation is needed. I’ll answer any questions needed (also my alkalinity stays at 7.5 then within the week will go up to 8 then slowly decay back to 7.5 working 2 weeks)
 
How much solid do you add and how much water passes through in that week?
Hey Randy I’ve seen you on a ton of other posts so I’m super hyped to see you here! I add about ~2 cups into my avast 1.5 gallon reactor, I dos about ~2.5 gallons a day
 
Upvote 0
2 cups should be enough to saturate about 48 gallons of ro/di. You are sending through about 18 gallons, so it should last longer if no solids escape the reactor. Is the effluent just clear liquid?
 
Upvote 0
2 cups should be enough to saturate about 48 gallons of ro/di. You are sending through about 18 gallons, so it should last longer if no solids escape the reactor. Is the effluent just clear liquid?
No, I have the mixer submerged below the powder in the reactor. It is slightly cloudy but the further up the tube you look the less cloudy it gets. Do you think my powder could be weak or old?
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new