Am I over feeding?

Bradsreeeftank

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
760
Reaction score
6
Location
Reading, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have green hair algea and feed quarter of a cube of frozen mysis once a day. Is this too much? Is it why I have algea?
 
As mrcoffee said we need to know what livestock you have. We also need to know how big your tank is and what filtration you have :)
 
You have algae possibly from phosphates, as much as its possible nutrient build up. Do they polish off tha t food in 2-3 minutes? What is your phosphate and nitrate reading?
 
+1 nutrients.
What lights do you have?
It doesn't sound like too much food to me. But then again I love to feed my fish a bit too much!
 
You have algae possibly from phosphates, as much as its possible nutrient build up. Do they polish off tha t food in 2-3 minutes? What is your phosphate and nitrate reading?
+1 on the phoshates. Have you tested water? Hope you are using rodi water.
 
Take a picture of the amount your feeding them. Then take a picture of what it looks like in the tank after 3 minutes
 
I use tap water unfortunately. But never had a problem with algea till now. My nitrites are reading 5ppm. And I just got LEDs. Can I take rock out to pour peroxide over it?
 
I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I use tap water in my fowlr and my reef and I've never had an issue. I'm just getting over a GHA outbreak, but I don't blame the tap water. It was my maintenance schedule and bad lights that did it to me.
Is it possible your CUC needs a boost?
 
Most tap water contains alot of phosphates. Cities add it to there water supply to help perserve the water piping system. You may not have problems now but if you keep using it you will.
 
At least get the cheap API phosphate test kit, its not the greatest but it will give you an idea of what you have going on.
Then either use GFO and a reactor or a liquid phosphate binder.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new