Am I over feeding?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more so curious if my feeding schedule and the amount I use is acceptable or should I dial it back. I have 2 clownfish (about an inch and a half), a flame hawkfish (about two and a half inches) and a Royal gramma (about two inches) in my 32g. I feed them a half a cube of marine cuisine (includes mysis shrimp, krill & spirulina) once each morning.

This seems acceptable. At the beginning I was thawing and giving them the whole cube but I noticed a lot of food was going to the bottom and sitting until the snails and hermits came along. That’s when I decided to scale back.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dwarf angels seem to enjoy performing aquatic acrobatics catching grindal worms and mysis flying through the tank, so I always keep everything on for them. It's fun to watch them do it, too.

Yep all my fish enjoy the food flying by. My Leopard wrasse and tang were playing
tug-o-war with a piece of mysis yesterday that flew by them both. (No aggression, they are best freinds)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently feeding a 1/4 sheet of Nori and 2 cubes of frozen daily for 1 Tomini tang, 4 Blue/Green Chromis, 1 Yellow Flanked Fairy wrasse, 1 Pintail Fairy wrasse, and 1 Divided Leopard wrasse. The snails pick up what is left over. I will eventually feed at least 3 cubes of frozen when I add the rest of the fish, 5 more tangs and a few more wrasses, to the tank along with a full sheet of Nori daily.
What brand/type of frozen food are you feeding?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep all my fish enjoy the food flying by. My Leopard wrasse and tang were playing
tug-o-war with a piece of mysis yesterday that flew by them both. (No aggression, they are best freinds)
This is good to know. I’ve been turning off my pumps and turning the powerheads down to 5% in feed mode.

Upvote 0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand/type of frozen food are you feeding?
I feed Hikari frozen food. I switch between Mega Marine, Mysis Shrimp, and Spirulina Brine Shrimp.

The fish simply tear it up. Its funny watching them. It reminds me of Pac-Man, LOL!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Hikari frozen food. I switch between Mega Marine, Mysis Shrimp, and Spirulina Brine Shrimp.

The fish simply tear it up. Its funny watching them. It reminds me of Pac-Man, LOL!!!
Hmmm…..not sure I’ve seen that at my pet smart. I’ll see if it’s at Petco.

Upvote 0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm…..not sure I’ve seen that at my pet smart. I’ll see if it’s at Petco.
None of those usually carry it. I order in bulk from BRS during black Friday. I order enough to make the shipping worth while. I usually order enough to last me a year. In order to get Hikari, you may need to go to a LFS.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pellets(TDO chroma boost, NLS, and NLS algae max) once day in the morning when I'm at work in an auto feeder. Then at night the entire tanks gets a cube of PE mysis, a cube of LRS, and a cube of calanus.

I feed 9 fish and a large coral biomass in an 80G cube.

If your nutrients are in check, then your feeding enough. I believe in heavy in, and heavy out.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get my fish to eat pellets. They’re spoiled and never liked pellets from day 1.

The fish are new too. The clown fish and gramma eat pretty much anything but the bristletooth tang is very finicky so far. Eats a little pellet food but won't touch herbivore frozen food or nori. I've tried multiple brands and nothing so little concerned but only had him 4 days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those usually carry it. I order in bulk from BRS during black Friday. I order enough to make the shipping worth while. I usually order enough to last me a year. In order to get Hikari, you may need to go to a LFS.
Thx! I’ll check my lfs this week.

Upvote 0

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hikari brine shrimp and LRS reef frenzy. I use a third of a cube of the hikari and a little chunk of the LRS and put it in a feeding bottle. Put a few drops in, and add little until they stop eating. I do that two times a day. But they are very active. Depending if you have really active fish you don’t want to under feed and then they just die one day from not eating enough.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back