Am I overstocked?

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all :)

I have a standard 29 gallon + 20 gallon long sump. Running filter fiber through a media bag, UV (Green Killing Machine), Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer, 5 gallon center refugium, and a sulfur denitrator.

I have an assorted variety of soft corals, zoa's, 2 hammers, a torch, and some mushrooms.

Current stock:
Pair, True Percula Clowns
Pair, Engineer Gobys
Female Blue Devil Damsel
Female Fairy Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny

I plan on adding a showpiece fish (Splendid Dottyback or Flame Hawk or Asst. Wrasse) - the LFS said it would not be overstocked given my sump/skimmer size, but they also just want my money, lol.

Parameters:
Nitrate: 0-1
Phosphate: 0-.25 (API kit is not good)
Salinity: 35
Calcium: 440-460
Alk: 7.7 (raising)
pH: 7.8
Temp: 77.9

What does everyone think? Is another fish too much? Thank you all so much for your help :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any more. You're pushing it now. Not so much about filtration as space for the fish to do their thing

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all :)

I have a standard 29 gallon + 20 gallon long sump. Running filter fiber through a media bag, UV (Green Killing Machine), Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer, 5 gallon center refugium, and a sulfur denitrator.

I have an assorted variety of soft corals, zoa's, 2 hammers, a torch, and some mushrooms.

Current stock:
Pair, True Percula Clowns
Pair, Engineer Gobys
Female Blue Devil Damsel
Female Fairy Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny

I plan on adding a showpiece fish (Splendid Dottyback or Flame Hawk or Asst. Wrasse) - the LFS said it would not be overstocked given my sump/skimmer size, but they also just want my money, lol.

Parameters:
Nitrate: 0-1
Phosphate: 0-.25 (API kit is not good)
Salinity: 35
Calcium: 440-460
Alk: 7.7 (raising)
pH: 7.8
Temp: 77.9

What does everyone think? Is another fish too much? Thank you all so much for your help :)
Tell you what my Engineer Goby went from 1 1/2" to 12" in no time. So 29 gallons tank is not going to do it, and you have 2

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell you what my Engineer Goby went from 1 1/2" to 12" in no time. So 29 gallons tank is not going to do it, and you have 2
Same with the fairy wrasse.

You might want to give deeper consideration to your fish choices, as well as keeping a close eye on the fish you already have as they grow...

You don't say what type of fairy wrasse you have, but I don't know of any fairy wrasse that will comfortably fit in a tank as small as a 29g. Might be okay as a juvenile, but when full grown it could lead to a lot of stress or aggression.

That said, I'm not familiar with what an "asst. wrasse" is ... but if it's another type of fairy wrasse, you'll be definitely be asking for trouble having 2 in a tank that small.

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow.. how quick? Mine are about 3" and he said they wouldnt get much bigger.. I plan to upgrade to a 75 gallon in about a year and a half, will they be okay until then?

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure of the specific species, it was sold as a Blue/Purpleside Fairy Wrasse but I have not been able to confirm.

I stock based on what my LFS can get/has in, because the area I live is quite scarce on fish stores. I go to the same one each time, and the manager has helped me each time, knowing my exact setup and fish choices. I was reassured by a "professional"

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check liveaquaria.com it lists recommended tank sizes for most fish.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure of the specific species, it was sold as a Blue/Purpleside Fairy Wrasse but I have not been able to confirm.

I stock based on what my LFS can get/has in, because the area I live is quite scarce on fish stores. I go to the same one each time, and the manager has helped me each time, knowing my exact setup and fish choices. I was reassured by a "professional"
That professional is in the sales profession.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ultimately up to you. Do some research on them and try to make the best decision based on their well being. As they grow older they will become more territorial. Each fish needs a safe place.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow.. how quick? Mine are about 3" and he said they wouldnt get much bigger.. I plan to upgrade to a 75 gallon in about a year and a half, will they be okay until then?
Are you talking about your Engineer Goby? If he told you that it does not get any bigger I would not listen to anything else he say

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back