Am I reading this Kalk Calculator correctly?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally wised up and improved my lighting. Basically went from 50 to 100 watts. That's all it took for everything to start growing in my 24g AIO cube. That means coralline is really taking off, zoas are getting much bigger, my montipora cap shows lots of new growth.

And now I'm noticing a significant drop in alkalinity. New saltwater comes in at 10.7 dKH before I do a 5 gallon water change. Tank then measures at around 8-8.5 However, after a week, the tank is testing at 7.2 dKH.

I'm thinking I need to start dosing kalkwasser to stabilize the alkalinity before I take the tank to the next level and add some more sps such as birds nest or green slimmer, etc. As I understand that it is the sps that really need stable alkalinity.

I came across this kalk calculator and I was wondering if you more experienced hobbyists could tell me if I'm reading this correctly. I'll say what I'm thinking it says and please feel free to set me straight.

kalk calculator.jpg

I think this says if I mix 4 grams of kalk powder to 5 gallons of RO water and top off 1 liter of this kalk mixture into my tank daily, it will raise the calcium 3.02 ppm in 2 days and the alkalinity .21 dKH every day.

BTW, this calculator can be found here

Depending on how much the new corals consume, I think I can tweak this to maintain stability.

What say you?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally wised up and improved my lighting. Basically went from 50 to 100 watts. That's all it took for everything to start growing in my 24g AIO cube. That means coralline is really taking off, zoas are getting much bigger, my montipora cap shows lots of new growth.

And now I'm noticing a significant drop in alkalinity. New saltwater comes in at 10.7 dKH before I do a 5 gallon water change. Tank then measures at around 8-8.5 However, after a week, the tank is testing at 7.2 dKH.

I'm thinking I need to start dosing kalkwasser to stabilize the alkalinity before I take the tank to the next level and add some more sps such as birds nest or green slimmer, etc. As I understand that it is the sps that really need stable alkalinity.

I came across this kalk calculator and I was wondering if you more experienced hobbyists could tell me if I'm reading this correctly. I'll say what I'm thinking it says and please feel free to set me straight.

kalk calculator.jpg

I think this says if I mix 4 grams of kalk powder to 5 gallons of RO water and top off 1 liter of this kalk mixture into my tank daily, it will raise the calcium 3.02 ppm in 2 days and the alkalinity .21 dKH every day.

BTW, this calculator can be found here

Depending on how much the new corals consume, I think I can tweak this to maintain stability.

What say you?
Just to state the obvious, you are topping off more than 1 litre of evaporation a day?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem with kalk, it will maintain your levels, but typically unless your dosing more then needed, it will not raise levels.

Best paractice is to raise your levels to whatever you desire with any typical 2 part solution. Then use Kalk to maintain those levels.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem with kalk, it will maintain your levels, but typically unless your dosing more then needed, it will not raise levels.

Best paractice is to raise your levels to whatever you desire with any typical 2 part solution. Then use Kalk to maintain those levels.
OK, after seeing your reply and consulting with my LFS, I decided to raise my alkalinity using Red Sea Alkalinity. Following the directions, being careful not to increase alk more than 1 per day, I calculated 3.5ml to start the process.

Well Hot dang! When I tested this morning, the alk had risen from 7.3 to 8.3 exactly!

Ok, so tonight I dosed again 3.5 ml to get to 9.3.

Here's my question: How long should I wait from dosing to testing for an accurate read?

LFS said to get to desired level, and record that. Then wait 4 days, test again. Calculate the drop, and determine how much it would take to raise the alk back up to the desired level. Repeat the process, taking care not to raise alk more than 1dkH per day. Once there, take the amount of the total dose to reach desired level and divide by four. This will be my starting daily dose. As sps corals grow, they will consume more alkalinity and this daily dose will have to be adjusted accordingly to compensate.

Does this sound like solid advice?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, after seeing your reply and consulting with my LFS, I decided to raise my alkalinity using Red Sea Alkalinity. Following the directions, being careful not to increase alk more than 1 per day, I calculated 3.5ml to start the process.

It's a lot cheaper to just use Baking Soda from the pantry to raise Alk :)

Of course, your LFS is unlikely to tell you that ...

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fair enough, but then there is a video on YouTube that says baking soda is not a good idea because the household stuff is not made to be safe for aquarium use. Possible soap particulates, residues, etc.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, but then there is a video on YouTube that says baking soda is not a good idea because the household stuff is not made to be safe for aquarium use. Possible soap particulates, residues, etc.
Nonsense. If it's food grade it is fine for aquariums.

I use about 1kg a month for the last 7 years with no problems at all.
IMG_3630.jpg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That video must have been made by someone selling something else.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS said to get to desired level, and record that. Then wait 4 days, test again. Calculate the drop, and determine how much it would take to raise the alk back up to the desired level. Repeat the process, taking care not to raise alk more than 1dkH per day. Once there, take the amount of the total dose to reach desired level and divide by four. This will be my starting daily dose. As sps corals grow, they will consume more alkalinity and this daily dose will have to be adjusted accordingly to compensate.

Does this sound like solid advice?

In a low alk demand situation like yours, that's an OK plan.

In a higher alk demand situation it is not, because alk demand depends on the absolute alk, and so if you drop from 9 where demand is higher to 7 where demand is lower, you are not getting a good estimate of the alk demand at 9 dKH.

You can measure as soon as it mixes in, just like a food coloring. How long before the whole tank is one color? A few min is plenty in a sumpless system, but can be hours in a tank with extended sumps and refugia.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That' in a nutshell, is why there is a reef chemistry forum. Not everyone understands chemistry, so many are easily misled, by intentional or accidental misinformation.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course, that requires mixing and measuring and this beginner crossing his fingers that he hasn't screwed up.

So much simpler and probably safer for this beginner to use a pre-mixed liquid with clear instructions right on the bottle.:grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an Aquarium that size I’d just dose, Kent’s Purple Tech, every three days. Also dose Kent’s Coral-Vite every three days, on an alternate day. You can get Purple Tech, in either 8oz or 16oz. If you like the result, you can got to the 74.4oz jug and refill your bottles.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an Aquarium that size I’d just dose, Kent’s Purple Tech, every three days. Also dose Kent’s Coral-Vite every three days, on an alternate day. You can get Purple Tech, in either 8oz or 16oz. If you like the result, you can got to the 74.4oz jug and refill your bottles.

FWIW, I do not recommend Kent Purple Tech. I'm surprised this rehash of Purple Up is still even sold.. It's whole design shows a lack of chemical understanding, and it is not a balanced calciuim and alkalinity additive. The main ingredient, fine sand, will not dissolve but can mislead testing if any particles remain in solution.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back