Am I ready to transfer to 90 gallon?

PMorgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @brandon429
I was reading some of your posts and would like to see if it’s ok for me to transfer my baby tank to the larger tank. 90 gallon with 30 gallon sump
I started the cycle on superbowl Sunday 2023 with stability and ammonia today my readings show 25 nitrates (Nyos) but still have .5 ammonia (Api)ph 8.2 dkh 8.6 (hanna)
I currently have an evo 13.5 with 2 clowns, fire fish, tail spot blenny, several hermits, a conch, & tuxedo urchin plus 4 corals and 2 rock flowers
Is it ok to move them all or should I do a few at a time any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our cycling threads we discuss how thousands of fully cycled reefs, years running, show .5 on api

Not one time on any cycling thread I've posted on did we entertain the notion that a three week bottle bac cycle wouldn't be done, that factors heavily in your move preparation date

We wouldn't take the test kit as the overriding factor.

Fill in these unstated details for the win:

What brand of bottle bac was added

How much ammonia was added, and how many times since then

Was the reading .5 ammonia since February or was it higher, and arrived at that approximate level as of today

OP
OP
PMorgan

PMorgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our cycling threads we discuss how thousands of fully cycled reefs, years running, show .5 on api

We wouldn't take the test kit as the overriding factor.

Fill in these unstated details for the win:

What brand of bottle bac was added

How much ammonia was added, and how many times since then

Was the reading .5 ammonia since February or was it higher, and arrived at that approximate level as of today
Seachem stability
Up to 2ppm twice
Yes it was higher dark green can’t remember the ppm on the api test

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Match your temperature and salinity between the two systems

Add one fish watch how well he does. This is cycled due to details you confirmed. I know it feels strange to move it all at once, so just move one or both fish they will act fine/ which is proof you can move the rest

Leave the one or two fish you move in there for 24 hours as assessment. You'll feel comfortable trusting the # of days you've given as ramp up time once you see them clearly doing fine.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now a reader/ maybe fifty readers is thinking we are about to burn fish, that's how we're trained. But the reality is that kit can't be used to determine accurate ammonia levels, the degree of surface area you've used (plenty) and the fact the ammonia dropped twice and that you're beyond day ten of wait/ the date we use in my cycle threads is trustworthy

The .5 you see is nh4 and in reefing we only use nh3, the math makes your nh3 levels ten times less than stated. It's why anything you add will be fine. Your actual nh3 isn't .05, it's lower than that, because there is no time after bottle bac use + ten days time that ammonia drops from 2 ppm and sticks at .5. That's classic test kit misread.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back