Am I the only batfish person?

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are one of them fish that fall into the category of something (IMO) that just shouldn't be wild caught any more and shops should only sell to people who have the right sized aquarium for them. Reasons being they are easily enough bred in captivity to supply those with a large enough aquarium to allow these fish the space they need. Here in the UK I've even heard of large public aquariums turning large bat fish away as they already have too many and this is when large fish like these are just dumped into seas that they don't belong in.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are one of them fish that fall into the category of something (IMO) that just shouldn't be wild caught any more and shops should only sell to people who have the right sized aquarium for them. Reasons being they are easily enough bred in captivity to supply those with a large enough aquarium to allow these fish the space they need. Here in the UK I've even heard of large public aquariums turning large bat fish away as they already have too many and this is when large fish like these are just dumped into seas that they don't belong in.

Agreed. Counting on an aquarium to be willing to take these when they are big is being pretty optimistic.

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to clarify that I fully intend to keep my bat for it's life time. That was my intention when I got it.

As for being a slow eater? This one eats like a pig, trying to get everything before anyone else does. Tank mates are 2 clowns, Royal Gramma, Hippo Tang and 3 mandrins. Along with RFA, and a green polyp coral, strombus,nerite, conch and cowrie snails. I think there is a few cerith as well.

None of the adult batfish ( orbic, Tierra, etc ) look anything like the juveniles. I have always wanted one and waited until I could have the right size tank and get captive bred.
It's not a fish you're going to see very often in a home aquarium, unlike Angels, Tang, triggers and so on.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool fish.
I have never researched much about them but the littile I did I understand them to not be reef safe is the a truth or falsehood?

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool fish.
I have never researched much about them but the littile I did I understand them to not be reef safe is the a truth or falsehood?

Don't know about the adults, but this one hasn't touched any of the inverts or the one coral yet.
I haven't seen it go after the star fish just the grated shrimp and brine shrimp. Not aggressive to any of the tank mates.

Fishboy42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had our batfish "Orby" for about 22 years now; he's definitely a family/company fixture (I'm not sure how long they live?). First picture is him as a baby in a refugium, then in a 105g tank, and then in a 700g lagoon.
Baby Orby.JPG
Orby Medium.JPG
Large Orby.JPG

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had our batfish "Orby" for about 22 years now; he's definitely a family/company fixture (I'm not sure how long they live?). First picture is him as a baby in a refugium, then in a 105g tank, and then in a 700g lagoon.
Baby Orby.JPG
Orby Medium.JPG
Large Orby.JPG
Orbics are my second favorite bat!

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby Orby.JPG
Orby Medium.JPG
Large Orby.JPG
Do you have full lagoon pictures? A 1000gallon lagoon is my current project still in the planning stages

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing fish! How many years will they remain in juvenile status before transforming to adult form? And are they reef safe? Thanks.

OP
OP
NashobaTek

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! They grew really fast like rabbit fish!
I feed fresh hatched brine shrimp and grated frozen shrimp and scallops.
If you ever want to get one, make sure it's captive bred, start out with the baby brine shrimp hatch every feeding, then find a small hole grater and use frozen mysid or human shrimp , scallops and grate into small pieces. I now have him eating out of my fingers. He gets so excited for food, and he knows when I am trying to get a picture. Rubs his upper fin on my fingers, like he's being petted.

Pretty cool fish, now that captive bred are available it's a lot easier. 30 years ago only wild caught were available and they usually starved to death in a few months. They are omnivores. I am not sure how reef safe adults are but I can say he doesn't ever bother the coral I have.
At least a 6' tank, he uses every inch of it swimming very slowly and gracefully the length.

The Hippo Tang and clowns don't bother him. The Gramma didn't either. But with the long fins I'm not sure if triggers or aggressive angels would be good. This guy is the biggest one in the tank right now so it may just be his size.

The silver bar is only noticable right now when he's mad. Like during and after I have been cleaning the rocks and filters. Lol Otherwise he's still pretty black all over and a very faint a silver line.

Last edited:

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed fresh hatched brine shrimp and grated frozen shrimp and scallops.
If you ever want to get one, make sure it's captive bred, start out with the baby brine shrimp hatch every feeding, then find a small hole grater and use frozen mysid or human shrimp , scallops and grate into small pieces. I now have him eating out of my fingers. He gets so excited for food, and he knows when I am trying to get a picture. Rubs his upper fin on my fingers, like he's being petted.

Pretty cool fish, now that captive bred are available it's a lot easier. 30 years ago only wild caught were available and they usually starved to death in a few months. They are omnivores. I am not sure how reef safe adults are but I can say he doesn't ever bother the coral I have.
At least a 6' tank, he uses every inch of it swimming very slowly and gracefully the length.

The Hippo Tang and clowns don't bother him. The Gramma didn't either. But with the long fins I'm not sure if triggers or aggressive angels would be good. This guy is the biggest one in the tank right now so it may just be his size.

The silver bar is only noticable right now when he's mad. Like during and after I have been cleaning the rocks and filters. Lol Otherwise he's still pretty black all over and a very faint a silver line.
Thank you NashobaTek for detailed instructions. I happen to have bb brine shrimp hatched everyday used to feed larvae of shore shrimps. If batfish are reef safe as you said, I’m interested to get one, hopefully captive bred specimen. They are fully of personalities!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back