Am I tripping????? But is this a starfish?

DuvalTilWeDie904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey..

I just bought of coral from a LFS and once I had a chance to look at the coral (while its still in the bag), I noticed what looks like a starfish! Hopefully my mind isn't playing games on me, but can someone confirm this and inform of the type of starfish (if that's what it is) for me as I cant open the bag at my current location.

20220519_151128.jpg

Chris99999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like that in my tank. Tiny starfish about the size of a pinky nail. Mine were white, not gray like the pic. They did multiply but stuck to the back wall. For me they did not seem to harm anything.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, asterina starfish (technically Aquilonastra, but known in the hobby as Asterina). Personally, I like them, but they do reproduce quickly (very quickly), and some people believe they eat corals (see my quotes below).
With regards to whether or not they eat corals, it might be a species specific thing, it might be a you have way too many starfish so they're out of other food options thing, or it might be they're eating the slime coat/mucus on the coral rather than the coral itself (see below).
The quote I referred to in my quote above:
It's an Aquilonastra spp. starfish and is a great scavenger. I see them with anywhere from 4 to 12 legs. The whole discusion around them seems to me excellent examples of misidentification, mistaken behaviour and assumed causality based just on heresay without looking at the research. Asterina spp starfish are preditary but only reproduce sexually and are shortlived so while it's possible some might get into a tank even if it did happen it's not going to be around long. Aquilonastra are one of the uncommon species that reproduce fissiparous or by splitting so are easy to identify by the different sized legs regrown after splitting. They perform an important function not only feeding off algae films but also feeding off microbial films including those on corals (at least ones that don't sting). FYI the mucus coating on corals ages and corals have to periodicely shed it to renew it and maintian healthy microbial processes (Ref 1, Ref 2). If Aquilonastra are feeding on zoas or softies I'll argue they are either benign or even beneficial as they may be reducing the unhealthy older mucus which can be full of unhealthy microbes which the animal is trying to get rid of and are far more likely to be the actual problem.

Here's an example, this Toadstool is doing one of it's periodic sheddings. The Aquilonastra have been in this system for years but only climb onto the Toadstool when it's shedding. In the first picture you can see the old mucus film, Aquilonastra starfish and areas they have cleaned off. The second picture shows the Toadstool a week later.

1647906819905.png

1647906843675.png

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they are harmless and good for biodiversity. I have many in my tank - and many different types of corals. I have not seen any issues with them yet.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey..

I just bought of coral from a LFS and once I had a chance to look at the coral (while its still in the bag), I noticed what looks like a starfish! Hopefully my mind isn't playing games on me, but can someone confirm this and inform of the type of starfish (if that's what it is) for me as I cant open the bag at my current location.

20220519_151128.jpg
remove IMO, hard to tell if its a coral eater or harmless

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back