White spot on starfish

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I’ve had this starfish for a couple months and at first she (or he) was under was under the sand a lot and come out every now and then.

Recently she stays on top of the sand and I noticed this white spot on top. It’s not sand because it doesn’t come off.

Also not sure what’s happening but she stands on her feet or whatever.

Anybody know what’s happening and what this spot is?!

Thank you!

IMG_4439.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4358.mov
    53.1 MB

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is "tenting". It is a hunting/feeding behavior and means the little guy is hungry. The dot might be the madreporite. Like the valve in the basketball but for water.

How old is the tank?

OP
OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is "tenting". It is a hunting/feeding behavior and means the little guy is hungry. The dot might be the madreporite. Like the valve in the basketball but for water.

How old is the tank?
Hey thanks. Idk if you were able to see the video because I just tried now and I didn’t see it. I feed the fish daily. Do you think I should get some little shrimp and try and directly feed her

Thank is like 3 years old

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks. Idk if you were able to see the video because I just tried now and I didn’t see it. I feed the fish daily. Do you think I should get some little shrimp and try and directly feed her

Thank is like 3 years old
I saw the video. It looks like a sand sifting starfish? Is that correct? I feel like interventions are usually not helpful. Focus on water quality and nutrient levels (feeding). If it is hungry and you give the tank food, it will find it. Maybe try some good quality pellets?

OP
OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video. It looks like a sand sifting starfish? Is that correct? I feel like interventions are usually not helpful. Focus on water quality and nutrient levels (feeding). If it is hungry and you give the tank food, it will find it. Maybe try some good quality pellets?
Yes it’s a sand sifting starfish. Yea this past Sunday I changed the water not going to lie it was over due so maybe that didn’t help but everything is good now so I hope the star gets better

I normally give the tank this food in the pic I just have a clown and two catfish with some hermit crabs. I haven’t been able to add any other fish because the clown is aggressive and picks at all the fish

Do you think pellets are better than frozen?

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpeg
    IMG_4441.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 15

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s a sand sifting starfish. Yea this past Sunday I changed the water not going to lie it was over due so maybe that didn’t help but everything is good now so I hope the star gets better

I normally give the tank this food in the pic I just have a clown and two catfish with some hermit crabs. I haven’t been able to add any other fish because the clown is aggressive and picks at all the fish

Do you think pellets are better than frozen?
I think variety is the spice of life. In my 25 gallon, I feed Hikari frozen Mysis, Prime Reef, Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and 2 pellets everyday. Small amounts of everything.

IMG_6472.jpg

OP
OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think variety is the spice of life. In my 25 gallon, I feed Hikari frozen Mysis, Prime Reef, Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and 2 pellets everyday. Small amounts of everything.

IMG_6472.jpg
Beautiful tank!

So I just did this to see if she would just eat by herself with no fish not sure if it helps or not so I’m putting the star back so I don’t leave star with out oxygen

Attachments

• IMG_4442.jpeg
    IMG_4442.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
michelleb

michelleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 2 of mine. They live under the rocks, I only ever see their arms foraging about.

IMG_6123.jpg
Oh man I’ve seen those before long arms! I see it has the white spot also so I guess I’m good there. Hopefully with this water change everybody will be more happy!

Thanks so much!

sophiagrace17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your starfish's change in behavior and the appearance of a white spot could indicate a health issue, so consulting a marine expert or veterinarian is recommended.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your starfish's change in behavior and the appearance of a white spot could indicate a health issue, so consulting a marine expert or veterinarian is recommended.
@sophiagrace17 Are you an AI bot? I have read all 6 of your posts, and you really don't make a lot of common sense.

You have not started any of your own threads which is usually why PEOPLE come to this forum, to ask questions.

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting stars are best left in the ocean. They 99% of the time starve to death, once they decimate the microfauna population within the sandbed.

The "tenting" behavior is it looking for food. More then likely starving. I've seen some people have some success by lodging algae wafers in the sandbed for them to find.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting small pieces of shrimp right in front of it to actively feed it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back