Ambient light in sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trebor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Trebor

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my aquarium stand has an open back, and cracks through the separated boards (nothing broken, that's the way it's made). I was wondering if that's too much ambient light? Alge problems etc.... Good reefing to ya!

Thanks
 
Over time you will develop algae wherever there is light and saltwater combined. Not a big issue, as cleaning algae is part of routine maintenance. However, I try to cover things as much as I can within the cabinet to keep maintenance to a minimum. As an example, I have a dedicated 20 gallon refugium under the stand beside the 30 gallon sump. I cover the light so nothing spills outside of the refugium, and even cover the sides of the refugium tank. Another area you can do this is the overflow, IF you have an overflow. I cover the top of the overflow with a black opaque roof. In 3 years, there is no algae in the sump adjacent to the dedicated refugium, nor in the overflows, no maintenance at all needed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new