Ammonia 0 no matter what i do

  • Thread starter Thread starter TSClark
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TSClark

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
11
Location
Rome
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im stuck...... New 16 gallon biocube. Instant ocean salt. Carib rocks, carib agron. I added 32 drops of Dr Timm Ammonia and my Salifert test shows 0ppm. I even added a drop into the test vile and it didnt change the reading.
 
Sometimes, the Dr. Tim's ammonium suffers from quality issues. You may have got a weak batch (assuming your Salifert test it is working well).

You can try dosing ammonium bicarbonate, which is "baker's ammonia" and can be found in the baking section of some supermarkets and craft stores like Michael's:
https://www.michaels.com/product/lorann-ammonium-carbonate-27oz-10695841

You can also add a piece of shrimp from the seafood market, which will break down and release ammonia. This has ot potential to be a bit stinky, but it works 🙃

I hope that helps!
 
Im stuck...... New 16 gallon biocube. Instant ocean salt. Carib rocks, carib agron. I added 32 drops of Dr Timm Ammonia and my Salifert test shows 0ppm. I even added a drop into the test vile and it didnt change the reading.
Ive got a biocube 16 also for about 6 months. Same salt and I've never detected ammonia once. I have a seachem ammonia alert at all times and have used different test kits and strips. I know there's been ammonia because I also dosed it to cycle to like 4 ppm according to my math. I don't know why, but you're not the only one. I never used Dr Tims, used pure ammonia from the hardware store. I knew it had cycled because I did get nitrites then nitrates and everything is jamming. Who knows
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new