Ammonia and live rock

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got 100lbs of gulf live rock. I put it in 25 gallons of fresh saltwater. I was going to put them in several trash cans last night but couldn't make another batch last night so was going to do it when I got home today. When I tested ammonia it was maxed out at 8ppm. I immediately did a 100 percent water change. Is my live rock going to be okay with ammonia that high? It was in that fresh batch of saltwater for 20 hours.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got 100lbs of gulf live rock. I put it in 25 gallons of fresh saltwater. I was going to put them in several trash cans last night but couldn't make another batch last night so was going to do it when I got home today. When I tested ammonia it was maxed out at 8ppm. I immediately did a 100 percent water change. Is my live rock going to be okay with ammonia that high? It was in that fresh batch of saltwater for 20 hours.
Bacteria will probably be ok, other stuff not so ok. Keep testing :)

OP
OP
J

Johnny bass07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I have all the rock testing 0 ammonia. I see absolutely no life on these rocks which is why I got the gulf rock was for the life. Obviously it killed everything on the rocks. How do I know if it killed the bacteria on the rocks and I don't have a bunch of expensive dead rock?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back