AMMONIA FROM STARFISH?

will?

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2024
Messages
178
Reaction score
74
Location
Queensland
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with my ammonia in a 35gal reef tank. I have recently had a massive spike in ammonia, and the only two things that have changed is the fact that I have bought a pair of red starfish and a pair of toadstool leather corals. I've heard that starfish can add ammonia and I can't risk them killing my tank. I've done an emergency water change of around 40 percent, but nothing has changed. What do I do? What can I remove??? Help, please
 
How old is the tank? What is the ammonia reading? Which test kit are you using?
 
The tank is around 18months old, the reading is around 2ppm and I'm using a RedSea 'Marine Test Kit AMMONIA'
 
What does that put read in new salt water?

If the starfish are alive, they aren’t causing an ammonia spike in an established reef tank.
 
I put the new water in, and the test result didn't seem to change, although I think the original result was above the test capacity, so hopefully the ammonia is lowering. The test after the new water still seemed to be around 2ppm, but I'm doing another change, and going to add fresh zeolite to the filter
 
I put the new water in, and the test result didn't seem to change, although I think the original result was above the test capacity, so hopefully the ammonia is lowering. The test after the new water still seemed to be around 2ppm, but I'm doing another change, and going to add fresh zeolite to the filter

I meant test the new salt water itself to see if the kit is reading correctly.
 
I meant test the new salt water itself to see if the kit is reading correctly.
Ohhhhh, I'm just about to test it when I get home. I just got some ammo lock (API) and 500g's of zeolite and another 20L of fresh saltwater, so hopefully the ammonia should be sorted soon
 
And does anyone know if zeolite absorbs water treatment like carbon does, or am I safe to use both simultaneously?
 
And does anyone know if zeolite absorbs water treatment like carbon does, or am I safe to use both simultaneously?

You mean the api? I would not assume it does anything useful for ammonia, and only certain zeolites bind ammonia. Clinoptilolite is the type that binds some ammonia.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new