OP
JamesThomas

JamesThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well Im actually not planning on rocks at this point. the display is only a sandbed and for the sump Im looking at a marine pure block at this point

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs had a sand only display tank plumbed to small sump with no extra media it was just skimmer, held about 30 mid level clownfish over sand alone, no surface area problems, total volume probably forty gallons total. I'm not saying we can/should fifty clowns ha (not in your plans likely) but that it can carry that much bioload because of sand alone in a mere 40g

You should be free ready for any stockings. Was planning for dieoff/curing headaches if any upcoming. Marine pure great

OP
OP
JamesThomas

JamesThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the input Brandon! a few threads have educated me more than hours and hours of internet searching.
On the subject of bioload and stocking....
Ive always wanted a coral cat. Ive read much and have a home for it once it outgrowths my setup. They appear kinda "boring" during the day tho.... with the pureblock could my system handle it?
Second choice is a lionfish and Huma Trigger. Ive had those in the past and know they are very active swimmers. I dont recall any special lighting needs for any of those fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no good for fish specifics/lateral pass to my large tank peers my tanks are only tiny coral displays no room for fish to study. You can pick up my reef tank full running and move it to a new table if desired ha = no fish in microtanks the thread police 'll get ya.

but it's really fun science to study bioloading vs surface area vs microbiology (keeps tiny coral displays running nicely, upscales and downscales to all size aquaria) and for sure if you stack marine pure blocks, or any alternate surface area in the sump, you can run any normal bioloading fish-wise the tank could reasonably run even if it had rock

These surfaces need to be cleaned, evacuated of pore-plugging waste regularly as this keeps vital surface area open vs ever-reducing

There are benefits to rockless setups, namely accessibility which is core in fish management, cleaning, tank maintenance

I like your approach as it's opposite of most reefs but can still keep same animals. You are re assigning oxidation to sand and marine pure surfaces, can be done on demand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back