Ammonia in quarantine tank.... Need advice!

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
1,123
Reaction score
495
Location
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have just added 2 med clowns, a goby and shrimp and 3 polka dot hermit crabs. This is in a 20 g quarantine tank . I have a bio wheel filter that had been running on my DT for 3 weeks prior and 2 small pieces of live rock from the DT tank for filtration.
They have been in the QT for 2 days and this morning I tested for ammonia and got a reading of .25 to .5 I am trying to figure out what I should do.
Can I just add some prime and hope the bio wheel will catch up in a day or 2? Should I change out some water from my display tank to dilute the ammonia? I am afraid if i add freshly made up water it might shock the fish.
Or can I add a few more peices of live rock I have in my sump and see if it takes up the slack.
Any advice would be appreciated!
 
I would do a water change, maybe 5 or less gallons. With prime added to the new water. Is this a new quarantine tank, as in had the tank been running before hand?
 
Q tank is new, but bio wheel filter was running on my display tank for 3 weeks, hopefully seeding the bio wheel with bacteria. Thinking the bio wheel might take a few days to catch up to being main filter in q tank.
 
I am making some fresh seawater now.
Will I mess anything up if I add some prime till I get the new water ready?
 
If its in the QT, drop in some Ammo Lock or something to get it out.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new