Ammonia with detrgent

Basic reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am cycling my 55 gallon tank with Great Value Clear Ammonia. I found out today that it has some detergent in it, I am just wondering what I should do? I have used about 91 drops for two days and added a little too much on the third day. My ammonia levels are just slightly over 2 ppm. Its a 55 gallon tank with 10 gallons of water in the sump. Do I need to do a massive water change or do you think I will be okay with a small one or do I even need to be worried.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to do the math, but then I remembered you're only two days into your cycle. If I were in your shoes and my ammonia contained detergent, I would just take the hit and dump the water. It might be fine to run as is, but it's really such an insignificant cost/takes so little time to pull the bandaid in this situation.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detergent can be harmful to bacteria and the cell walls of other microorganisms. I wonder if the detergent is biodegradable. Most straightforward approach is to replace the water. If you have a skimmer, you could skim it out.

OP
OP
B

Basic reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ingridents:
Water, 7732-18-5, Intentionally added non-fragrance,
Solvent Ammonium hydroxide, 1336-21-6, Intentionally added non-fragrance,
Cleaning Agent Tetrasodium EDTA, 64-02-8, Intentionally added non-fragrance,
Chelating Agent Sodium C10-16 Alkylbenzenesulfonate, 68081-81-2, Intentionally added non-fragrance,
Surfactant Sodium Xylene Sulphonate, 1300-72-7, Intentionally added non-fragrance, Surfactant
Is there anyway without doing a 100 percent water change? Like some sort of filter media or it just kinda evaporates out?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only 55 gallons. Fully empty, good RODI rinse, let fully dry, then refill.

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think soap evaporates. You will at some point be adding living things to that water. Of less importance is that they will likely be expensive living things. Why risk it? A few dollars worth of salt and a few hours of making rodi water sounds like a no brainer to me.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any flow going in this tank? If it isnt foaming I would carry on for now.
The ingredients listed are a wetting agent and a chelating agent. There is no detergent or soap.
I dont think they will matter.

OP
OP
B

Basic reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any flow going in this tank? If it isnt foaming I would carry on for now.
The ingredients listed are a wetting agent and a chelating agent. There is no detergent or soap.
I dont think they will matter.
I have a canister filter a sump return and a pump and there is no foaming of any kind.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back