Amount of light intensity to increase?

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a seneye to give me ballpark par values. I noticed that I am barely hitting 100 to 150 in the areas where I'd like to grow SPS. Basically my scape reaches the middle of the tank. Only in certain top portions do I get over 250. But the general areas where I'd like to grow SPS are below 200. I am sure this is the last remaining piece of the puzzle as to why I have been having a hard time. I have worked hard at maintaining stability in particular with ALK and the nutrients are stable as well.

Anyways, question is what percentage increase would be safe and how long before I increase again?

My lights are maxspect ethereals. I have 3 over a 180 typical 72x24x24 tank.

I run them for 10 hours with a 30 minute ramp up at the beginning and end.

6500k cool white 50%
Neutral white/ Warm white 50%
Cool Blue/ Ultramarine blue 80%
Royal blue 80%
UV Super Actinic 80%

I'd like to get the 3 blues closer to 95% as that is what its gonna take to ensure the PAR values are over 250 across the scape bed.

My plan is to pick the middle hour of the schedule and begin the ramp up. I current have it set for 1 hour with only a 5% increase across the board. I do not plan on increasing the 2 whites past 55% as I don't want too much white light.

I figure I'd go a week with that hour increase and keep increasing weekly and lengthening the time the lights are at max.

I guess I'd like opinions on safely doing so with out also wasting to much time. I know patience is key but if I can raise it 5% over 2 hours instead of 1 hour, I'd like to know or whatever combination that would more likely be safe. I do have some softies and currently a few "easy" sps's that are not necessarily doing great.

Thanks

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my best advice.. you have a par meter on hand so it's really up to you.

If it was me, I would crank all lights to the max and take measurements. Find out exactly what is the most you can get and then dial them back to where you want them to be. You could perform this test over an hour or so.. set lights, take readings, change lights ect ect...

Shouldn't affect anything currently in the tank too much... Once you find your best setup, return to what you have now and then start ramping up to what you want to have.

OP
OP
S

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a dang good point. The more I think about it. The smarter that sounds. I will do that. Thanks!

Back