Amphipods and Bayer dip

Morpheus77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 20 gallon long has been up and running 9 months now, it's mainly softies, various zoas, leathers, paly's, ricordia, etc. About a month ago, I noticed a good chunk of my biggest zoa just gone. Checked params, nothing out of the ordinary. The other day I noticed the amphipods in my tank, were literally eating my zoas, watched them with my own eyes take a node off, and 2 or 3 of them fighting over it. So I decided to take some of the LR and do a bayer dip, I took the LR with the least amount of corals, and dipped them, about 4 rocks total for 10-15 min just to get an idea about how bad the amphipods were. I didn't do the main rocks due to heavy population of corals, that would take some effort to do, mainly just curious about pod population for now.Anyway, the dip killed approximately 40-50 amphipods. Rinsed them off with distilled water, then some tank water, and placed them back in tank. Next day, the dipped corals were great, looked better than I had seen them in awhile, but weird thing is, I haven't seen any amphipods since, not even on the bigger LR's that weren't dipped, like none ALL day today. I stirred up the sand bed earlier, and seems to be dozens of dead amphipods in the SB, and still not seeing anymore amphipods. So could some residual Bayer have taken out the rest? Just seems odd I'm not seeing them anymore when I only did half the rocks. Thoughts??!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my 20 gallon long has been up and running 9 months now, it's mainly softies, various zoas, leathers, paly's, ricordia, etc. About a month ago, I noticed a good chunk of my biggest zoa just gone. Checked params, nothing out of the ordinary. The other day I noticed the amphipods in my tank, were literally eating my zoas, watched them with my own eyes take a node off, and 2 or 3 of them fighting over it. So I decided to take some of the LR and do a bayer dip, I took the LR with the least amount of corals, and dipped them, about 4 rocks total for 10-15 min just to get an idea about how bad the amphipods were. I didn't do the main rocks due to heavy population of corals, that would take some effort to do, mainly just curious about pod population for now.Anyway, the dip killed approximately 40-50 amphipods. Rinsed them off with distilled water, then some tank water, and placed them back in tank. Next day, the dipped corals were great, looked better than I had seen them in awhile, but weird thing is, I haven't seen any amphipods since, not even on the bigger LR's that weren't dipped, like none ALL day today. I stirred up the sand bed earlier, and seems to be dozens of dead amphipods in the SB, and still not seeing anymore amphipods. So could some residual Bayer have taken out the rest? Just seems odd I'm not seeing them anymore when I only did half the rocks. Thoughts??!
It sounds like your big and nuisance ones were concentrated on that particular rock
Having a wrasse such as yellow coris should go after bigger pods

OP
OP
Morpheus77

Morpheus77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did purchase a scooter blenny, he came in yesterday morning, now I'm afraid he won't have anything to eat. He started exploring a bit today. Bought him just for the purpose of helping me control the pod population. You think he went crazy last night, and finished them off? Lol. I got some mysis shrimp just in case. Trying feeding the guy tomorrow. I guess that's possible, maybe I got the majority of them, but still baffled. The corals completely perked up today, the entire tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back