An all-in-one component/trace element dosing solution? Is this what we've been hoping for?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this is a product by Tropic Marin, which is certainly a reputable brand. But I've never heard of an all-in-one solution for adding alk, calcium, and magnesium (let alone other trace elements). Any feedback? It looks like a great option if it does what it claims: All-For-Reef by Tropic Marin

211778-tropicmarin-allforreef-250ml-fr_2.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Few threads here to include one of the more popular for the DIY crowd. I switched from ESV 2 part not because it was a bad product, it isn't - it is great actually, but rather because I wanted to try a single dose solution. Well, that and it looked fun to make. In fact making a new batch today.

Could be coincidental but once I started to use it I saw some really nice polyp extension on my soft corals. I also noticed some new growth, faster, on a few test frags I have. On or around the same time I started the AFR dose everything seemed fine. But as I said I also switched from IO reef crystals to TM Salt (bio actif) and TM AFR so who knows. It could also be to another day of tank maturing and the corals just did their thing.

What I will say, that I can confirm:

1. DIY recipe using TM products is super affordable even for larger tanks
2. A all in one powder is due out next year - already out in EMEA so it will be easier and more affordable
3. I've not seen any negative side effects since using it
4. I've seen growth whereas before it was slow (perceived I guess)

Negative effect is that I have some cyno that came back on or around the time I started dosing and switch salts. This is probably not related because the bio active salt is also a form of built in carbon dosing so my nitrates bottomed out. Probably due to this but something I note. All in all it is a great product in my opinion.

Few other links but this one below is good.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Few threads here to include one of the more popular for the DIY crowd. I switched from ESV 2 part not because it was a bad product, it isn't - it is great actually, but rather because I wanted to try a single dose solution. Well, that and it looked fun to make. In fact making a new batch today.

Could be coincidental but once I started to use it I saw some really nice polyp extension on my soft corals. I also noticed some new growth, faster, on a few test frags I have. On or around the same time I started the AFR dose everything seemed fine. But as I said I also switched from IO reef crystals to TM Salt (bio actif) and TM AFR so who knows. It could also be to another day of tank maturing and the corals just did their thing.

What I will say, that I can confirm:

1. DIY recipe using TM products is super affordable even for larger tanks
2. A all in one powder is due out next year - already out in EMEA so it will be easier and more affordable
3. I've not seen any negative side effects since using it
4. I've seen growth whereas before it was slow (perceived I guess)

Negative effect is that I have some cyno that came back on or around the time I started dosing and switch salts. This is probably not related because the bio active salt is also a form of built in carbon dosing so my nitrates bottomed out. Probably due to this but something I note. All in all it is a great product in my opinion.

Few other links but this one below is good.

Thanks! I'm checking out that link now, but I think from what you've said I'm about to give this a shot.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are loads of threads on it, and similar products have been around for many years (e.g., Salifert All In One), but the biggest concern is that one cannot readily control the needed dose by measuring alkalinity since the product does not show up quickly as alkalinity.

Tropic Marin recommends dosing based on calcium, which is a coarser way to control things and requires a learning curve.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are loads of threads on it, and similar products have been around for many years (e.g., Salifert All In One), but the biggest concern is that one cannot readily control the needed dose by measuring alkalinity since the product does not show up quickly as alkalinity.

Tropic Marin recommends dosing based on calcium, which is a coarser way to control things and requires a learning curve.
Any idea how long it takes for the alk to show the difference. I can test calcium, but I've got an alkatronic that I'm finally setting up and was planning to use that to monitor.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top add to Randy's comment above, it works by dosing calcium formate, which bacteria will break off and process into alk. Since the transition from formate to alk is done slowly, it doesn't show up right away on a test kit. But it'll all eventually get there in the right ratios. All for reef also contains some trace elements; TM makes a product called Carbocalcium which is the same thing without any trace elements.

I used it on both my old tanks once it came out, and it was awesome. However, it's VERY expensive for large systems, so I wouldn't use it on anything larger than like a 40 breeder.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how long it takes for the alk to show the difference. I can test calcium, but I've got an alkatronic that I'm finally setting up and was planning to use that to monitor.

Lou Ekus suggested in some cases, it may never show up, only getting converted once the formate is taken up by corals. That's the reason for dosing based on calcium.

I personally think that if formate is accumulating, bacteria that can use it (admittedly not that many do so) will expand in numbers to fill the niche, and eventually make it more rapidly available. How long until that happens, and then how long after a dose does it show up? I do not know.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So would someone using this not pay attention to alk at all, or would it still be necessary to maintain measurable alk levels? Also, it would seem (to someone like me who understands just enough chemistry to be dangerous) that overdosing this would be more forgiving than traditional dosing methods since alk swings wouldn't be likely and high calcium isn't typically a danger to a reef other than precipitation...or am I way off on this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would someone using this not pay attention to alk at all, or would it still be necessary to maintain measurable alk levels? Also, it would seem (to someone like me who understands just enough chemistry to be dangerous) that overdosing this would be more forgiving than traditional dosing methods since alk swings wouldn't be likely and high calcium isn't typically a danger to a reef other than precipitation...or am I way off on this?

I'd monitor alk, I just would not dose based solely on the alk values. You'd especially not want to use an automated alk doser based on alk measurement.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd monitor alk, I just would not dose based solely on the alk values. You'd especially not want to use an automated alk doser based on alk measurement.
Thanks Randy. That makes sense.

U

User1

View Badges

Thanks for noting this. It is important and I should have said that but alas I didn't. It may be in the DIY thread or a few others Randy mentioned but there is a lag time. I was still dosing ESV Alk for a couple weeks until AFR caught up or noticed (not sure what the right term to use here is).

I checked the Tridents readings then adjust down the daily dose as needed until it was no longer increasing or dropping. Three weeks or so I think is when it seemed more stable.

Edit: I see Randy's comment above and maybe I did it wrong. I used TM's calc and set my AFR dose based off that. Then watched alk and slowly reduced until TM's product and measurements are stable. Not sure if that was the correct way.

U

User1

View Badges
Top add to Randy's comment above, it works by dosing calcium formate, which bacteria will break off and process into alk. Since the transition from formate to alk is done slowly, it doesn't show up right away on a test kit. But it'll all eventually get there in the right ratios. All for reef also contains some trace elements; TM makes a product called Carbocalcium which is the same thing without any trace elements.

I used it on both my old tanks once it came out, and it was awesome. However, it's VERY expensive for large systems, so I wouldn't use it on anything larger than like a 40 breeder.

Have you looked at the DIY recipe I linked above? I dose it on my 210 gallon. Granted it is still maturing so its uptake isn't much at the moment @ 40 ml / day but doesn't seem bad.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the carbo-calcium powder with some added trace elements for close to a year now. The powder isn't very expensive compared to the pre-mixed stuff (I've spent less than $50 so far). I'm dosing about 30ml per day in my 120G. My alk has held steady at 8dkh and calcium at 480ppm.

It does, however, have a carbon dosing effect, so if you are already carbon dosing, you may have to stop. I was dosing a DIY NOPOX and have stopped because nitrates bottomed out after starting with the carbo-calcium.

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the All-for-Reef for 2 months now in my 70 gallon. Using roughly 20 mls a day, Alk has been stable at 9 +/- a few tenths, calcium hangs around 490. Coral do seem to love it and I like the ease. I use Tropic Marin pro salt with it and everything seems happy. As for expense, well in this hobby, it’s just a drop in the proverbial bucket :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back