An unidentified worm seems to be eating my silicone?

shorty6049

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, looking for some advice here... I have had some mysterious leaks form in my tank. The first time it happened was a couple of years ago. The way the leaks formed, it almost looked as though something had eaten a trail through the silicone between the pieces of glass on the bottom of my tank. These leaks always appeared under the sand and occasionally would appear not as trails down through the seam (and out the bottom of the tank where water would start dripping) but as a hole with a few grains of sand in it that looked as though something had tunneled through the silicone horizontally and stopped when it hit glass.

Had no idea what to make of this, the only logical conclusion was some kind of worm, but I've been told by multiple people in multiple groups that this isn't possible... "there's no worm that eats silicone. your tank is probably not level or something" was a common theme.

Fast forward, I couldn't keep the leaks from forming, even after pumping the originals full of silicone again. I finally broke down and bought a new tank and replaced everything except for one or two rocks .

Now here I am about 2 yrs later and my tank is leaking again and when I plug the leaks, new holes appear. I finally caught what I think is causing my issues on video... Anyone know what exactly this thing is? My first thought was a bobbit worm , but mainly just because I don't know of many other worms aside from bristle worms...? for size reference, this video was filmed with a 180mm macro lens and the length of visible worm in the video is appoximately 1-2mm . I've definitely had larger bristle worms than this in my tank.

Oh, and just ignore this cheery music... I forgot I'd added it before uploading... lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi ,welcome to the reef... :)
Sorry to see this,
1 not sure from video on worm, medusa? bobbit ?
2 have never seen this happen IME 30+ yrs
3 patch sealing usually does not hold for long
4 what size and brand of tanks ??

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, looking for some advice here... I have had some mysterious leaks form in my tank. The first time it happened was a couple of years ago. The way the leaks formed, it almost looked as though something had eaten a trail through the silicone between the pieces of glass on the bottom of my tank. These leaks always appeared under the sand and occasionally would appear not as trails down through the seam (and out the bottom of the tank where water would start dripping) but as a hole with a few grains of sand in it that looked as though something had tunneled through the silicone horizontally and stopped when it hit glass.

Had no idea what to make of this, the only logical conclusion was some kind of worm, but I've been told by multiple people in multiple groups that this isn't possible... "there's no worm that eats silicone. your tank is probably not level or something" was a common theme.

Fast forward, I couldn't keep the leaks from forming, even after pumping the originals full of silicone again. I finally broke down and bought a new tank and replaced everything except for one or two rocks .

Now here I am about 2 yrs later and my tank is leaking again and when I plug the leaks, new holes appear. I finally caught what I think is causing my issues on video... Anyone know what exactly this thing is? My first thought was a bobbit worm , but mainly just because I don't know of many other worms aside from bristle worms...? for size reference, this video was filmed with a 180mm macro lens and the length of visible worm in the video is appoximately 1-2mm . I've definitely had larger bristle worms than this in my tank.

Oh, and just ignore this cheery music... I forgot I'd added it before uploading... lol
I am in the camp also that is not eating the silicone. Perhaps it's pushing against the glass and getting in between the silicone and glass and allowing sand to accumulate there. Eventually there will be enough sand and it will get deep enough that the glass fails.

Know idea what worm that would be. Maybe get an acrylic tank?

@ReefSquad

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks to be a Eunice species, and unfortunately it does appear to be burrowing through what may have already been a weak seal.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of this before, you can even find old threads here. There is probably a percentage of leaks that may be caused by a worm or such but people don’t know that and it isn’t reported as such.

I guess this would not happen with an acrylic tank :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW...That's pic of you're worm...

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eunicid species or one of the similar genera. Some actively chew and others produce chemicals to eat through substrates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunicidae

Basically, just 'luck-of-the-draw' as to what type(s) one gets in the aquarium.

Catching them manually is really difficult as they are super quick at sucking back into the rock work. Traps might be helpful as well as fish/crustaceans that eat these type of worms.

OP
OP
shorty6049

shorty6049

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,welcome to the reef... :)
Sorry to see this,
1 not sure from video on worm, medusa? bobbit ?
2 have never seen this happen IME 30+ yrs
3 patch sealing usually does not hold for long
4 what size and brand of tanks ??
Thanks for the welcome!

As for your Number 2: Yeah, I've been in this for like 12 yrs now and this is definitely a first for me too...

3- Yeah, my thinking on this is that I may either just patch it the best I can and see how it goes (I feel like there may be a bit better chance of staying sealed permanently considering this is kind of just covering/filling a hole vs. trying to hold glass panels together which have begun to separate naturally due to outward pressure and degrading silicone? I may be wrong in this thinking though. Was thinking ideally I'd be able to get silicone inside each hole/tunnel and then enough on the inside of the tank where its got clean glass to stick to all the way around the area with the hole so I'm not trying to stick silicone to silicone at the entrance to the tunnel at least)

4- This is a 25g lagoon style tank from Innovative Marine. This is replacing the same model (the old one was slightly different in that the logo for IM is now etched internally in the glass, but aside from that, I think its an identical tank)

OP
OP
shorty6049

shorty6049

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW...That's pic of you're worm...
Hmmm I think you might be right! Its so tiny but seems to be so capable of doing a lotta damage!

OP
OP
shorty6049

shorty6049

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the camp also that is not eating the silicone. Perhaps it's pushing against the glass and getting in between the silicone and glass and allowing sand to accumulate there. Eventually there will be enough sand and it will get deep enough that the glass fails.

Know idea what worm that would be. Maybe get an acrylic tank?

@ReefSquad
Yeah, so I was pretty hesitant to claim it, but after visually watching what this thing (or maybe multiple things?) was doing to my seals, I'm just kind of convinced that its , if not eating, BORING through it at the very least... I don't have a photo of this right now, but tried to create a quick little diagram here of something I can't really rationalize as any other cause... The attached photos illustrate what I'm seeing. I've also attached another photo of the first hole I found in this new tank which was actually leaking water before I pumped it full of superglue to stop my tank from draining. (note , the light colored path you see starts at the top edge of the silicone and extends all the way down through the seam and out the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 212
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 210
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-03 at 12.04.01 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-03 at 12.04.01 PM.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
shorty6049

shorty6049

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of tank is that?
Its an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Lagoon 25 . Seems to have nice thick silicone all the way around, thick glass , and its only 12" tall so not a huge column of water pushing outward. I know a lot of people are still thinking its the silicone being poor quality , but just visually at least, I took a look at this thing when it arrived (becuase I wanted to make sure it looked okay after what happened with my first tank) and the silicone job looked solid . Still obviously a chance it could be that, and I'm not a silicone expert, but it definitely didn't appear like someone slapped it on in their garage and smoothed it with a bare finger or anything like that at least.

OP
OP
shorty6049

shorty6049

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone over on Reddit where I've got a thread going for this issue suggested I post the following info as well just so its visible somewhere here -

1- Dims are approx. 12"H X 24"W x 24"L

2- Manufacturer is Innovative Marine (the exact tank is the Nuvo Fusion lagoon 25)

3- Glass thickness is 8mm

4- No bracing , just straight rimless

5- No additional reinforcements in the corners (I've seen people mention things like glass rods or other types of reinforced materials to protect the silicone at the seams )

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a common sandbed worm who was in the area of a seam leak/don't believe he caused that.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank had a worm eat through the silicone. It also made a tunnel about 1" long through my foam mat underneath the tank, with chew marks in the wooden stand. Was a very small hole in the silicone.

There's a YouTube video of a worm caught in the act:

Worm Eating Through Silicone
New fear unlocked! Haha. Glad I don’t have a sand bed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back