An urchin that doesn't eat coraline algae

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 3 years old and for most of that time, I've had a halloween urchin. He is great and entertaining. But, the problem is he eats so much coraline algae, that I can't get the rocks covered and this allows for nuisance algae to grow. My question is, are there urchins that will eat the nuisance algae but not coraline algae?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure about the urchin and whether you can get one that leaves your Coraline in peace.

Would it be a poor suggestion to consider looking into the reasons as to why the nuisance algae is growing at a rate hard to control instead? :)

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure about the urchin and whether you can get one that leaves your Coraline in peace.

Would it be a poor suggestion to consider looking into the reasons as to why the nuisance algae is growing at a rate hard to control instead? :)
LOL, not at all. I don't have a BIG problem per se. Keeping NO3 at ~10 and PO4 at ~ .03 for coral health, I do get a couple of patches that I manually take care of. And the urchin seems to prefer the coraline over the hair algae. :face-with-raised-eyebrow: It would be nice to have rocks covered with coraline so no other algae could get a foothold.

One alternative I've considered is to get rid of the urchin and boost my CUC. I don't want to do that as I feel urchins add a lot of character to the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back