Anacropora

  • Thread starter Thread starter JGT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2020
Messages
6,665
Reaction score
7,478
Location
Northeast
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve grown this green goblin Anacropora from a 1” frag to the softball size colony you see. I noticed that the bottom and inner portion has bleached which I’m assuming is due to shadowing. Anything I can do or is it just a fact of life? Since most of the bleaching is in the inner portion, don’t think that supplemental lighting would even help as it’s so far into the interior core of the coral. Thanks.

IMG_0813.jpeg
 
I’ve grown this green goblin Anacropora from a 1” frag to the softball size colony you see. I noticed that the bottom and inner portion has bleached which I’m assuming is due to shadowing. Anything I can do or is it just a fact of life? Since most of the bleaching is in the inner portion, don’t think that supplemental lighting would even help as it’s so far into the interior core of the coral. Thanks.

IMG_0813.jpeg
Honestly, I would leave it if it’s growing. Bleaching in the centre is always going to happen on large colonies of SPS, it’s a fact of life.
 
That’s a lovely colony!
 
I’ve grown this green goblin Anacropora from a 1” frag to the softball size colony you see. I noticed that the bottom and inner portion has bleached which I’m assuming is due to shadowing. Anything I can do or is it just a fact of life? Since most of the bleaching is in the inner portion, don’t think that supplemental lighting would even help as it’s so far into the interior core of the coral. Thanks.

IMG_0813.jpeg
I have the same with mine and as you mentioned- area s that are blocked by light. I just live with it. Same applies to my big birdsnest coral
 
Honestly, I would leave it if it’s growing. Bleaching in the centre is always going to happen on large colonies of SPS, it’s a fact of life.
Yes, figured as much. Just a bummer. I wonder if the same occurs in the wild because no how much sun it gets there would still darkness in the inner core.
 
I have the same with mine and as you mentioned- area s that are blocked by light. I just live with it. Same applies to my big birdsnest coral
Yep, thought so. Just a bummer.
 
Yes, figured as much. Just a bummer. I wonder if the same occurs in the wild because no how much sun it gets there would still darkness in the inner core.
Was just in Florida and Hawaii diving and saw few coral that was regarded as bleaching and appeared to be the same- Shading. One example was a large maze brain which was lacking color at the base an another was a staghorn colony about 2 feet round
 
That actually makes me feel better. If Mother Nature can’t do it then who am I to think I can do better.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new