Anemone chopped up by powerhead

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m away from home for work and wife just called frantic that our long tentacle anemone had just gotten chopped up by one of the MP40s in the tank. She said there were parts all in the tank and water is a little cloudy. Is there anything that needs to be done right away?? We have 2 clowns, a magnificent foxface, yellow wrasse, purple firefish and lyretail anthias as well as a few cleaner shrimp in the tank. Thanks for the help, we’re kinda freaking out right now cuz i do all the tank maintenance and won’t be home right away.
837142C5-8AC8-479C-9B7E-00395EF15559.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she's still at home, I would have her add some prime to the tank immediately. If any of the pumps can be aimed at the surface, I would do so to increase oxygenation to help with the likely bacterial bloom that can happen with these kinds of events. Once you get home, I would likely perform a water change and just monitor your ammonia levels to make sure there isn't a spike. I'm guessing the anemone likely has a poor prognosis, but if it's alive at all, I would transfer to a hospital tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Turn off pump and screw cage of powerhead off and see if nem works itself loose.
If it does- It has a chance
If it does not and is damaged- Discard before it rots. Add new high grade carbon to the tank

OP
OP
kwall737

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she's still at home, I would have her add some prime to the tank immediately. If any of the pumps can be aimed at the surface, I would do so to increase oxygenation to help with the likely bacterial bloom that can happen with these kinds of events. Once you get home, I would likely perform a water change and just monitor your ammonia levels to make sure there isn't a spike. I'm guessing the anemone likely has a poor prognosis, but if it's alive at all, I would transfer to a hospital tank.
Appreciate the reply! Don’t have prime on hand but will have her put some in tomorrow am along with carbon tonight and redirecting our return nozzles. How much prime you recommend? 130 gal system

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with the directions on the bottle. In extreme cases you can go up to 5x the concentration safely, but on a 130 gallon system, I'm going to guess you likely won't need to use that amount. If however you test your ammonia and it's high, I'd revise as needed.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldnt make drastic changes unless you see sign of stress in the tank. Its the quick sudden changes From freaking out that will kill your tank and not from the nem. Nano tank could cause issue but large tank usually doesnt affect much. Once in a while one of my nem will go through the powerhead. It doesnt bother my tank so i just leave it alone.

OP
OP
kwall737

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt make drastic changes unless you see sign of stress in the tank. Its the quick sudden changes From freaking out that will kill your tank and not from the nem. Nano tank could cause issue but large tank usually doesnt affect much. Once in a while one of my nem will go through the powerhead. It doesnt bother my tank so i just leave it alone.
Thanks! As of now the tank has completely cleared up, and all the fish she can see and our cleaner shrimp are acting normal. Got some carbon in and crossing my fingers til i get home and can do a water change

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had anemone purée a couple of times. It’s chopped up nematocysts and associated toxins that you need to worry about, not really ammonia. Anemone is mostly water and yours doesn’t look like it was huge. You did the right thing with carbon. Water change is good and even a polyfilter if you have one.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run carbon, poly filter if you have and get some water ready for an emergency water change. I doubt a small anemone will cause too much trouble especially because most of it seems to be stuck in the powerhead.

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did yours survive? i got the 3d printed one and my mp40 was able to suck it in. i was able to turn off the powerhead and saw it retract. Was able to move him to rock. Wondering if he's a goner as you guys recommend to chuck it if it's going to not survive.

Attachments

• PXL_20210905_153946968.jpg
    PXL_20210905_153946968.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20210905_192007430.jpg
    PXL_20210905_192007430.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 113

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back