Anemone Dead? Dying? Unsure.

Alec Meacham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, im fairly new to the hobby, about 2 and a half months in. I've had my anemone for about a week or so and everything has been great hes been doing well but when i came home today i think one of my rocks may have pinched it on the corner or something, because it wasnt attached to anything and wasnt facing the right direction. (Pic for reference) Is it dead? Dying? My salinity is at 1.025 and my water tests okay, coral is fine, fish are fine. just my anemone. Tentacles are still sticky, but he doesnt seem to want to attach to anything, and is much smaller than he usually is. Any advice would be appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_0624.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0625.jpg

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is super new for having an anemone, so it may just not be established enough. It looks unhappy and to be moving. What type of anemone is this? Welcome to the hobby, it is great, but can be very frustrating.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting and flow do you have? Also what are your "good" parameters? As @Leslie Tabor has said, your system is VERY new and probably not ideal for a nem, almost looks like an LTA but hard to tell for sure...

@Amoo, #Reefsquad what do you think?

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting and flow do you have? Also what are your "good" parameters? As @Leslie Tabor has said, your system is VERY new and probably not ideal for a nem, almost looks like an LTA but hard to tell for sure...

@Amoo, #Reefsquad what do you think?
I was guessing LTA as well, but wanted to confirm.

OP
OP
Alec Meacham

Alec Meacham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a long tentacle, Im using a seastar light, Unsure on the flow.. I have one 525 I think? Its a 30 gallon tank. my ammonia is non-existent, same with my PH, Nitrate, Nitrite. Everything was going great until i got home today and like i said i think it was related to being pinched/slightly smashed by a rock. He seems to be doing better though.. His tentacles are still sticky and hes slowly sticking to the sand. Maybe just in recovery mode.

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like his foot may have gotten damaged somehow....looks very very swollen! I hope he pulls through!! Usually the rule of thumb is to resist the urge to get a nem until atleast your 8-12month mark in your tank, so it can mature....def a little too early for a nem right now....nems can be tricky and even though the water par may be good, just the tank not being mature enough yet alone could throw him off....but of course things happen, like a torn foot, or you got a nem that was sick, just didn't show any signs until you got him home. Have you inspected his foot to see if it's torn anywhere? What's his mouth look like? Is it gaping wide open or is it tight? Hoping all works out for ya man

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It's definitely a LTA. Pretty textbook example for those trying to learn. The red foot is an immediate give away, but without even seeing that, look at the raised "spots" on the underside of the nem. Those are your key identifiers for LTAs.

2. What kind of light do you have, please be specific, and what are your settings?

3. Has anything changed in your tank since you added the nem?

OP
OP
Alec Meacham

Alec Meacham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo Ive pretty much gotten it figured out at this point, unfortunately the foot got pinched by a rock that shifted and it all kind of just went downhill from there.. I have it in my emergency tank RN but its not looking too hot.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back