OP
BasicBitz

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I have used water from the display tank and for the first 3 days it should be okay in any case, but later there is a chance of reinfection if the pathogen is still in the tank. So I would suggest doing water changes onward from day 4 of treatment with new water.

This is a video of the anemones I currently have/had in treatment:

The anemones in the tank on the left are done with treatment for 2 weeks, the magnifica on the right is the one I have in treatment for over two weeks now. The green gigantea and the little malu (in the breeder box) were not really sick but just got treated along prophylactically.

This is how the magnifica looked only a few days ago:

Thank you for sharing that! What kind of filtration are you doing in those tanks? Or is it just movement via power heads?

I have my anemone in the quarantine. It started to perk up a little bit after I moved it. Once lights were out, I dosed 250mg of Cipro. Will assess in the morning. I'm hoping it pulls through this.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing that! What kind of filtration are you doing in those tanks? Or is it just movement via power heads?

I have my anemone in the quarantine. It started to perk up a little bit after I moved it. Once lights were out, I dosed 250mg of Cipro. Will assess in the morning. I'm hoping it pulls through this.

During treatment, I generally use just powerheads.
Once the anemones are healthy I usually add a skimmer. Though I also used a skimmer during treatments in the past if the anemone messed up the water too quickly.

Depending on how sick the anemone is you may see either a very quick recovery or it may take quite a while. Generally, the longer you wait with treatment, the longer it can take to bring the anemone back to health. If you wait too long you may not be able to save the anemone.

OP
OP
BasicBitz

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During treatment, I generally use just powerheads.
Once the anemones are healthy I usually add a skimmer. Though I also used a skimmer during treatments in the past if the anemone messed up the water too quickly.

Depending on how sick the anemone is you may see either a very quick recovery or it may take quite a while. Generally, the longer you wait with treatment, the longer it can take to bring the anemone back to health. If you wait too long you may not be able to save the anemone.

I hear you! I started the Cipro last night. This was the anemone as soon as the lights came on this morning. Water looks super clear, the only filtration I have is my bio media (some ceramic media from my reef sump) and a mechanical sponge in the back of this AIO. No charcoal or anything, so I think I should be ok there. This is already a visible difference, albeit possibly just coincidence being it’s so soon. Will continue down the path dosing this evening. Thank you for all your wisdom!
9FB4E495-8418-43D1-BD33-71B26E4C4119.jpeg

OP
OP
BasicBitz

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night was the third dose of 250mg Cipro - and the anemone looked the worst it has looked. It appeared to be trying to squeeze itself between the rock and the bottom of the tank. :(

This morning though, it's opened up again. I'm going to keep on this regimen and will update as I go for anyone who might be curious.

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, just curious to see as to how you went.

I am going through a similar situation at the moment so would love to see your results so far!

OP
OP
BasicBitz

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, just curious to see as to how you went.

I am going through a similar situation at the moment so would love to see your results so far!

I'm sorry I haven't kept up with this thread - had so much going on in the family that I lost track.

I set up my anemone in a quarantine tank without filtration and with just a powerhead as was mentioned before, and at some point during one of the nights, it decided to detach its foot and it ended up in the powerhead. :( That caused me to stop the medicine and work on healing its wound. It actually bounced back from the powerhead incident, but it is now somewhat deformed and still randomly closes up.

I stuck it in a tank by itself (non quarantine) to give it proper lighting and flow without a powerhead and am going to wait just a little bit before I work on dosing it again with Cipro. I wasn't able to complete the full med cycle due to it getting stuck in a powerhead. D:

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I haven't kept up with this thread - had so much going on in the family that I lost track.

I set up my anemone in a quarantine tank without filtration and with just a powerhead as was mentioned before, and at some point during one of the nights, it decided to detach its foot and it ended up in the powerhead. :( That caused me to stop the medicine and work on healing its wound. It actually bounced back from the powerhead incident, but it is now somewhat deformed and still randomly closes up.

I stuck it in a tank by itself (non quarantine) to give it proper lighting and flow without a powerhead and am going to wait just a little bit before I work on dosing it again with Cipro. I wasn't able to complete the full med cycle due to it getting stuck in a powerhead. D:
How is it now?

OP
OP
BasicBitz

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I'm sorry I never got back to reply here. That particular anemone did not ever fully recover from the powerhead incident. :( That whole incident was such a stressful thing that I gave up on anemones from that point on. We ended up leaving Texas and moving across the country, and I re-homed all of my livestock and tanks to a very good buddy of mine before we moved to WA state.

Now that it's been about a year here, we're finally settled, and I've started back into the reef world again as of about 6 mo ago. I wanted to ask - @ThRoewer, do you have any tips for keeping anemones out of power heads? I am scarred from this incident and really don't want to repeat what happened ever again - but that said, I'm super nervous about an anemone walking itself into or detaching and floating into a powerhead. Any guidance would be much appreciated! I won't be sourcing an anemone for quite a while being my tank is only ~6 months old at this point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back