Guidance on Haddoni Nem

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Looking for some general guidance with new additions. I have some experience with anemones in the past but first time with Haddoni Anemones. Received two very healthy specimens yesterday. Went to the wholesaler and saw both of them prior to purchasing. I have treated gigs in the past but seem to be getting some conflicting info regarding what to look out for with Haddoni.

Both came in looking generally good. The larger of the two had a tightly closed mouth while the smaller was moderately gaping. I’ve read that a gaping mouth alone does not necessarily indicate infection but on its own could simply be indicative of stress from shipping.

Today is the second day. Both have had moderate to large gaping mouths for a majority of the day. They have not deflated since arriving yesterday, have both maintained their shape, no weird looking waste and actively respond to touch. At this point, my inclination is to leave them be for another few days and barring any other symptoms, allow them to acclimate further. Does this sound like the proper path to take for now?

IMG_3741.jpeg IMG_3744.jpeg IMG_3729.jpeg IMG_3743.jpeg

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice haddonies! I would do the same as your inclination. Give them some time to settle in. I'm sure you already know that species does like to dig into a deep sand bed. Being able to dig in might facilitate the acclimation process. I would just provide good water parameters (sg 1.026-1.027, ~80F, low nitrate, moderate water circulation) along with good light and a deep sand bed and keep an eye on them.

OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it! Like I said I tried my hands recently with two small gigs. Immediately went into QT and started treatment. Not at all a fun or easy process and I ended up only being partially successful.

Definitely think these two are healthy and this is just part of them acclimating at this point. Lights just went out and they both reacted to it. Mouths closed and they pulled in tighter. All in all I think they are doing well. I’m increasing my temp as I’ve had the system running at just under 77 to help facilitate the new UV sterilizer kicking ick out of the fish population. Will increase .5 degrees or so a day until at 79-80.

Both my stock tank and the display tank are barebottom (for the most part) Intent is to use a Tupperware dish filled with sand and glue rock to it for the nems once the display tank attached to the system is sorted out aquascaping wise. If they seem to take a turn at all I may just go ahead and release them both into the stock tank with Tupperware dishes I can just move over to the display.

OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light reaction

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3754.jpeg
    IMG_3754.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 34

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it! Like I said I tried my hands recently with two small gigs. Immediately went into QT and started treatment. Not at all a fun or easy process and I ended up only being partially successful.

Definitely think these two are healthy and this is just part of them acclimating at this point. Lights just went out and they both reacted to it. Mouths closed and they pulled in tighter. All in all I think they are doing well. I’m increasing my temp as I’ve had the system running at just under 77 to help facilitate the new UV sterilizer kicking ick out of the fish population. Will increase .5 degrees or so a day until at 79-80.

Both my stock tank and the display tank are barebottom (for the most part) Intent is to use a Tupperware dish filled with sand and glue rock to it for the nems once the display tank attached to the system is sorted out aquascaping wise. If they seem to take a turn at all I may just go ahead and release them both into the stock tank with Tupperware dishes I can just move over to the display.
Sounds like they are in good hands. The tupperware with sand and rock to conceal it works great for sand dwellers like haddoni and LTAs. Keep us posted, they should settle right in.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look good. I was concerned about the red one in the first photo since its mouth was open, but it looks like it tighten up in subsequent photos. Your plan sounds solid. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the red hasn’t gaped at all today. The green is about the same as yesterday. Tried feeding some LPS/Anemone pellets today. They stuck but the nems didn’t make a move to eat them. The green one did fold in on itself in reaction to them but didn’t consume them. I eventually removed them with a turkey baster. Gonna get some shrimp and try again in a couple of days. Generally content to just leave them be at this point.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the red hasn’t gaped at all today. The green is about the same as yesterday. Tried feeding some LPS/Anemone pellets today. They stuck but the nems didn’t make a move to eat them. The green one did fold in on itself in reaction to them but didn’t consume them. I eventually removed them with a turkey baster. Gonna get some shrimp and try again in a couple of days. Generally content to just leave them be at this point.
I think leaving them alone is a good idea. They don't need to eat and it may stress them our more than benefitting them. After they've had a chance to dig their foot in and get comfortable, then consider feeding them.

OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to say I saw improvement in the carpets today. The red had complete control of its mouth throughout most of the day. The rainbow’s mouth was wide but controlled as in the pic for the entire day. I think they’re settling in right well at this point.

No deflations
No weird poop
No signs of infection

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpeg
    IMG_3769.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red carpet has looked really good today. Green is about the same, which isn’t terrible but also isn’t stellar either.

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3779.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that I’m dealing with velvet in this system. This stock tank is connected to a 200 gallon display in the foyer of the house. I’m splitting the two by turning off the pump that feeds water from the display to the stock tank, putting all my corals in the stock tank and then running copper in the display (BB, minimal rock) and will then run the stock tank fallow for 80 days. Once I get the fish out of here on Sunday I’m probably gonna sink the baskets so the Ben’s can get some good flow. May eventually trade the baskets for Tupperware bowls with sand but I’m gonna try to be minimally invasive for now.

OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green carpet decided it hated basket life, balled up into a tight baseball and released its foot so I spent the last day trying to get it stuck to some rock rubble and sand in a large isolation basket. Finally got it to stick. I think it was being annoyed by algae growth on the basket because the mouth stayed tight while it released its foot.

Red carpet continues to appear fairly content in the basket. Leaving for Colorado for a couple days so I’m sure they’ll both decide they hate life and release their foot while I’m gone.

Sorry for the poor pics

Attachments

• IMG_3847.jpeg
    IMG_3847.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3792.jpeg
    IMG_3792.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 32

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. They're looking healthy. I'm sure they would like some deep sand to settle into. I don't know if stress caused by lack of sand would compromise the long-term health or success, but I would be concerned it may.

OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. They're looking healthy. I'm sure they would like some deep sand to settle into. I don't know if stress caused by lack of sand would compromise the long-term health or success, but I would be concerned it may.
The plan was to construct something that can be obscured by live rocks and place on or both into the display tank. Unfortunately, the whole system came down with an awful case of velvet and I lost $4,000 in fish in a single night. The display, which is connected to the stock tank is being treated with copper and all the remaining fish are in there (display is connected to stock tank by way of a pump which was shut off to separate the two systems). I thought giving them some rubble and sand to be a good transition during the 30 day copper treatment and will make it easier to move them when the time comes while not relegating them to the baskets for the entire time.

Which reminds me, I went ahead and placed the red one in there as well. Both seem to be quite happy being out of the baskets. Sharing a picture but hard to see as I’m traveling and all I have is the security camera (plus the glare of the lights)

Attachments

• IMG_3857.png
    IMG_3857.png
    644.9 KB · Views: 23

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet they will be happier in there with the rubble and sand for sure. Have a good trip.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back