Ritteri Recovery – Big tank you to OrionN

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Story:

12/2/2023 – Acquired from LFS what "appeared" to be a healthy Rittri Anemone. Placed in very young tank (~5 weeks) and probably should not have gotten an Anemone yet, but the other half insisted and while it’s been a long time, it's not like I did not successfully raise Anemone’s, etc. back in the 80s before getting out of reefing and now just recently getting back into… Chid me if you will for this.

Put the Anemone up on top of the highest structure in the tank with roughly 220 PAR at the time and decent flow. While the Ritteri barely moved, it did not seem all that happy. Regularly inflating and deflating, gaping mouth etc. After giving two weeks to acclimate, we decided we better treat before getting much worse.

12/15/2023 moved to a Hospital tank. 13.5 Fluva EVO (holds 12 gallons), with an upgraded Sicce 2.0 return pump, plus a second small pump from an old Bio cube for more intank flow, along with an extra Blue LED bar for a total of ~150 PAR. Best we could reasonably do for a hospital tank. 8 gallon (75%) water change daily with fresh saltwater.

After 3 days of Cipro treatment, Anemone was not improving. We doubled the dose of Cipro for three days. Substantial improvements seen post three days of treatment at the higher dose after which we returned to standard dosing. By day 8 the Anemone was seemingly stable, no longer constantly deflating. While we probably should have treated longer the Anemone seemed to be getting smaller and smaller (wasting) so we decided it best to move back to the display, crossing our fingers to either fully recover or not.

Evening of 12/22/2023, Anemone was moved back to the display. So as not to stress the Anemone, we left attached to the rock we gave it in QT. Placed the rock next to the structure we wanted the Anemone to climb. The day after we moved the Anemone to the display, it deflated once but otherwise stayed inflated and seemed content to stay and acclimate where it was placed in the DT.

1/3/2024 Anemone decided it’s time to find a new home. Rather than climb up to the light and flow (as we wanted and expected), the Anemone climbed down to the sand bed and then over to the front glass ☹ Not where we wanted him.... The next morning, we relocated the Anemone to the high point of the structure we wanted it on (~250-300 PAR plus decent flow.) Anemone wanted nothing to do with it and overnight climbed back down to the bottom of the structure and to the sand bed where it has stayed for the past couple days. At this point, its climbed back up the structure just a bit so his foot is back entirely on the rock. He’s only getting ~120-150 PAR where he is and not tremendous flow, but its health seems to have returned and I imagine will find a brighter home soon. The better half is now occasionally feeding shrimp or Reef Frenzy and very happy with her now much healthier anemone.

Pics follow, Sorry for the not great pictures - still getting there.

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri in Display, before sending to the hospital

IMG_5026.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Although, 220 PAR isn’t nearly enough for a mag. You’ll need at least 600 PAR and that’s on the acceptable low end IMO. Best of luck and keep us posted, mags are some of hardest nems to get established.

Yeah Understand. If he goes back to where we want him it’s around 300 PAR at this point. Lights are at 75% at this point and my test SPSs have not liked but it’s also still a new tank and having to dose phosphate and probably nitrates soon. I imagine we will turn the light directly above to 100% which will get us to around 350 PAR. From there we will see if we get a spotlight. But first the tank needs to mature along the way so it will take time / can only increase the light so fast.

Last edited:

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done! Great recovery! Its beautiful! It will move to where it wants to be. Don't try to move it off the rock. I think I've done more harm than good by "moving" my Mags to where I "think" they should be!

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those white tip/yellow tip are very hardy ..you should be good to go now as long as all powerheads/wavemakers/filter intakes are protected

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri (Mag) is slowly working its way back up the structure back towards the light and flow. Yeah!!!

This is making me start to think about next steps on providing more light as the anemone continues to look healthier and healthier every day. Now that it’s getting healthy it’s much larger - probably 10” around now, maybe a bit larger then that. (Yes I know it will get bigger)

The top of the structure we’re targeting, directly under LED when I tested, was about 320 PAR and the other end was ~225. Once the LEDs go to 100% then it should be around 350 PAR directly under the LED. Right now lights are at 80%.

Here’s my worry. The PAR at the sand bed is already close to 200 (less in the corners but overall close to 200 save in the shade) so things are already brighter at the bottom of the tank than many corals prefer. I imagine that is in part due to the fact that I intentionally built the aqua scape to be roughly 1/2 the depth of the tank (11” high) to allow for growth as my last tank didn’t have near enough room for the corals to grow up. I had some massive corals and anemone back in the day.

That brings me to my question. If the Ritteri is really going to need more light how best to provide it? My first thought would be to put another light in the pendent above the tank on the side where the anemone is. This would look the best aesthetically and I expect will raise the PAR above the Anemone into the 500++ range but it’s also surely going to bring the PAR on entire right half side of the tank even at the bottom to 300+ which is way too hot - I’ll only be able to grow high light SPS in my tank and the fish may go blind when visiting the right side of the tank. :). LoL

The second option is some form of spotlight directly over the anemone. That would not light the entire right side of the tank (so I could keep other things), but I’m concerned what the spotlight will look like aesthetically (mount wise)? Does anyone have some good pics of their spotlights or recommendations?

The last option where I’m leaning towards is just leaving things as is and not adding anymore light. Eg. Seeing how things work out…Tank is already pretty bright….. In my 180G back in the 80s I used power compacts and the long tentacle anemone had in that was a monster but the structure was also a bit higher so it could get closer to the light. On the other hand the power compacts were not even close to the brightness of these LEDs. Makes we wonder do I really need to go above the current 300-350 PAR for this Ritteri? It looks quite happy now and it’s not even found the light…. Tank is only a 5’ 112G so I don’t plan on feeding heavy etc - ie I’m not after aggressive growth I just want a healthy nice looking Anemone.

Thoughts?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri (Mag) is slowly working its way back up the structure back towards the light and flow. Yeah!!!

This is making me start to think about next steps on providing more light as the anemone continues to look healthier and healthier every day. Now that it’s getting healthy it’s much larger - probably 10” around now, maybe a bit larger then that. (Yes I know it will get bigger)

The top of the structure we’re targeting, directly under LED when I tested, was about 320 PAR and the other end was ~225. Once the LEDs go to 100% then it should be around 350 PAR directly under the LED. Right now lights are at 80%.

Here’s my worry. The PAR at the sand bed is already close to 200 (less in the corners but overall close to 200 save in the shade) so things are already brighter at the bottom of the tank than many corals prefer. I imagine that is in part due to the fact that I intentionally built the aqua scape to be roughly 1/2 the depth of the tank (11” high) to allow for growth as my last tank didn’t have near enough room for the corals to grow up. I had some massive corals and anemone back in the day.

That brings me to my question. If the Ritteri is really going to need more light how best to provide it? My first thought would be to put another light in the pendent above the tank on the side where the anemone is. This would look the best aesthetically and I expect will raise the PAR above the Anemone into the 500++ range but it’s also surely going to bring the PAR on entire right half side of the tank even at the bottom to 300+ which is way too hot - I’ll only be able to grow high light SPS in my tank and the fish may go blind when visiting the right side of the tank. :). LoL

The second option is some form of spotlight directly over the anemone. That would not light the entire right side of the tank (so I could keep other things), but I’m concerned what the spotlight will look like aesthetically (mount wise)? Does anyone have some good pics of their spotlights or recommendations?

The last option where I’m leaning towards is just leaving things as is and not adding anymore light. Eg. Seeing how things work out…Tank is already pretty bright….. In my 180G back in the 80s I used power compacts and the long tentacle anemone had in that was a monster but the structure was also a bit higher so it could get closer to the light. On the other hand the power compacts were not even close to the brightness of these LEDs. Makes we wonder do I really need to go above the current 300-350 PAR for this Ritteri? It looks quite happy now and it’s not even found the light…. Tank is only a 5’ 112G so I don’t plan on feeding heavy etc - ie I’m not after aggressive growth I just want a healthy nice looking Anemone.

Thoughts?
@OrionN

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
Hows it looking now.

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it looking now.

He’s doing fantastic. Thanks for asking.

Below is a pic from a couple days ago. As of today he has moved completely off the edge of the structure and fully to the top surface. He is Standing up really strong and reaching for the light and getting a lot more flow. This is a major improvement from before where it appeared healthy but didn’t fully stand up. Tentacles are now much longer and he never deflates save at feeding time where we broadcast Mysis and he always catches some partially deflating for a minute or two to eat or if suddenly turning the lights off.

I just recently started to raise the lights for him. from 70% to 84% and will continue to raise. Going slowly so as not to bother the corals below and I have a bunch of Dino’s on the sand bed below I’m trying to manage. As he’s reaching probably getting 250-300 PAR at this point. Taking the lights slowly but seems quite happy. Should get to 300-350 PAR with the current lights. In both cases maybe a bit more PAR then that as I measured light at the surface of the rock and he’s reaching several inches higher. Tank will need to mature a lot more before I can consider adding more.

IMG_5301.jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
If you can consider adding a spotlight for him. Magnifica do much better and brighter in color if you get around 6-700 PAR to them.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s doing fantastic. Thanks for asking.

Below is a pic from a couple days ago. As of today he has moved completely off the edge of the structure and fully to the top surface. He is Standing up really strong and reaching for the light and getting a lot more flow. This is a major improvement from before where it appeared healthy but didn’t fully stand up. Tentacles are now much longer and he never deflates save at feeding time where we broadcast Mysis and he always catches some partially deflating for a minute or two to eat or if suddenly turning the lights off.

I just recently started to raise the lights for him. from 70% to 84% and will continue to raise. Going slowly so as not to bother the corals below and I have a bunch of Dino’s on the sand bed below I’m trying to manage. As he’s reaching probably getting 250-300 PAR at this point. Taking the lights slowly but seems quite happy. Should get to 300-350 PAR with the current lights. In both cases maybe a bit more PAR then that as I measured light at the surface of the rock and he’s reaching several inches higher. Tank will need to mature a lot more before I can consider adding more.

IMG_5301.jpeg
Gorgous

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Ritteri/Mag must be feeling its oats as it appears to have caught and eaten my Flame Angel for dinner.

We came home from the fish store a bit late with some coral and put them in just as the lights were starting to go down.

All I can figure is he must of gotten spooked or maybe the Ritteri got him earlier in the day. Either way the Ritteri balled up nice and tight last night, have not seen it do anything like that since it’s recovered. It was closed all night and is just now starting to open back up this morning. We were worried about the nem until we fed the fish this morning and thought all was well until wife noted the Flame Angel was missing in action

Surprised it caught it. The flame was constantly on the move and loved to surf in the return flow. All the fish are healthy, all I can figure is it made a grave mistake. Probably wiped out surfing :). Well I don’t have to worry about getting wet anymore when he decides to splash water at me. He will be missed. One of my favorites.

RIP Torch the flame Angel.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back