Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20231001_220530.jpg
look at all those nems. 100par and up.
If you were a rbta in a 9gal what par would you start at?

Edit: we're not trying to drop one in quickly. Just trying to gather information. Still have a lot of research to go. But first hand knowledge is great.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If like to put one in our larger tank but I feel like, with my luck, it'd move around and kill all our favorite corals before it settles down.
Personally I think that's a drastically overblown concern in a larger tank. Many people keep anemones in mixed reefs with no problem at all. I've kept RBTA in mixed reefs with no coral issues for long periods. I've got a deskmate Florida I will likely put one in as well. If they become a problem you can re-home them. If they split, you can sell them. It will likely need to be moved out of a tank that small eventually, but they don't grow super fast. Is there risk? sure. Is the sky falling? No. I probably wouldn't house them with very expensive and rare corals, but if you've got a tank for of cheap softies like GSP and Xenia or something.... well, it's not the same level of concern. So, it really depends on what you are housing them with and how much you have invested.

Last edited:

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this one for about a year in an old cube 8. Never had a problem other than walking up and down occasionally on the back wall.
IMG_8134.jpeg
That's fine, the main concern right now is other corals getting killed, and lighting. Do you know what PAR your anenome is getting? I think that would be helpful to @Pvtgloss. I think that if you wanted to put an anemone in a small tank like that, it needs to look like yours!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you saying that from? That is not good for BTA.

That is false information.
Than please tell that to my anemones. I have some at the sand (moved thier on thier own) and others high light. My par is 100 and up. Maybe I'm different but they all get feed 2 times a week.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were a rbta in a 9gal what par would you start at?

Edit: we're not trying to drop one in quickly. Just trying to gather information. Still have a lot of research to go. But first hand knowledge is great.
125 and let the anemone move. They will find the perfect spot. If they want more light they will seek it out. Rocks with lots of holes for the bta to place its foot.

lowater22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine, the main concern right now is other corals getting killed, and lighting. Do you know what PAR your anenome is getting? I think that would be helpful to @Pvtgloss. I think that if you wanted to put an anemone in a small tank like that, it needs to look like yours!
I do not know the PAR but from the research I’ve done it’s pretty low from what others say. It’s a stock hood with super old CFL lights that came with the tank. Best I’ve seen posted is 115 at basically the water level.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 gallons is fine, we have one in 10 hosting 2 clowns. He is at the bottom.
2 Other tanks
75g 2 rbta, 3 green bta, all moved to the top of rocks or glass front with 300+ par. Surrounded by frogspawn and xenia.
20g 2 rbta, at bottom, probably in 200 par.
Theyll move to where they like conditions, flow, light etc.
All bta started from 1 green and 1 rose.

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goal of a small tank with anemones and clowns only too. If I ever set this up, there will not be any corals in the tank. I tried an anemone about 8 months ago and the one I got did not want to settle down. It roamed the tank and stung (and eventually killed) my gorgeous duncan and hammer corals - and then it died. It was more than likely my fault that it did not thrive (timing, choice, lighting, tank size). Do your research, contemplate - and then contemplate again.

LPS can host clowns too. When mine are not laying and tending eggs (which seems like always), they like the swim around and stick their faces in the duncans.

Good luck!

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you considered Rock Flower Anemones? They won't host clowns, but my Sexy Shrimp are fond of mine.
What's interesting is that I had a RFA that hosted a clown. This was circa 2007/08 or so.

Found a post I made about if from a different forum:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 48

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back