I'm getting Gigs tomorrow!

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I am expecting two Gigantea anemones to arrive tomorrow. The last time I ordered some they showed up sick and were completely gone/melted in less than 3 days. So I'm trying to come prepared this time.

I read through this:
Thread 'How I Cipro' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-i-cipro.211822/

I have cipro, and I gathered all the parts for a quarantine tank which I'll fill tonight. If anyone wants to add their 2 cents I would really appreciate it, as the last experience was pretty devastating.

CrayHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track. Where are you getting the gigs from?

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post the name if they arrive healthy. Gigantea are notoriously hard to receive healthy, or so I've read, and I don't want my thread to turn into a store bashing session.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add amoxicillin to the cipro..that combo knocks everything out..
I think I might have some. If so, what is the dosage if they are combined? I don't want to go nuts on meds. Hoping I don't even need them but I don't want to be caught unprepared either.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining fish is one thing. But delicate anemones might be less stressed if they’re placed right into the dt. Dipping and acclimating them first. of course. My 2 cents. :)
Anemones , especially gigs and mags almost always require treatment.. you put them directly into the DT and you could infect them all...and difficult to remove if sick ...treat first ,ask questions later

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones , especially gigs and mags almost always require treatment.. you put them directly into the DT and you could infect them all...and difficult to remove if sick ...treat first ,ask questions later
You’re probably right. I stopped housing nems a decade ago. RBTAs, maybe not an issue with them. Anyhow, good luck.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, three hours after acclimating, and these are still some unhappy animals. I'm probably going to be medicating tonight. :(

IMG_20240410_123926.jpg
IMG_20240410_123937.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tank water. and put the new water to the tank. Mini water changes for me. Also newly mix water and especially with temperature changes and new unchelated irons in new mixed water can be stressful for already stressed anemones.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly 36 hours after acclimating, things seem to be going well. I haven't medicated yet because they started to improve after about 6 hours. I did change the light to one with a 14K color, but I don't think that caused any of the improvements. I made a large batch of saltwater at the beginning, and I've done water changes about every 6 hours because they have been expelling some waste (a lot at first and mostly done now). I left them in the same water for 12 hours and it started to smell and they started shriveling up again, so thus the frequent water changes. Here's hoping they continue to improve, but I will continue to monitor the progress.

IMG_20240411_234931.jpg
IMG_20240411_234920.jpg

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for asking. Unfortunately it went very poorly very quickly. When I came home from work on Friday, one had deflated very severely (about 7/8 on the scale in the post I referenced). The other one was still around 2/3.

I immediately turned off the light, did the evening 100% water change, and added cipro. Both anemones reacted to the cipro by bunching up, the 2/3 one closed so entirely that only the sides were visible (tentacles and mouth completely covered). After 5 hours, the 7/8 became a 9/10, and the 2/3 was still closed.

Early Saturday morning, everything was the same, so I called it and removed the 9/10 one, did another 100% water change and reapplied the cipro. Around midday, the remaining Gigantea opened up and looked like maybe a 3/4 condition, but by evening, it went downhill again to 5/6. I kept up with the treatment, but by late Sunday night it was gone.

I didn't post sooner because I'm pretty frustrated as I've used cipro before successfully with riterri anemones, but in the last 6-9 months the only anemones that survived were ones I didn't need to treat. I decided to throw out my cipro as I've had it for a few years, and based on my recent streak of failures I have to assume it's gone bad/expired.

On a more positive note, my LFS had a Mertensii, which has been doing well for about 6 days now, so I am focusing on that to keep me sane. I may ask them to get a Gigantea for me, as I've had really good luck with whoever their suppliers are.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

A key takeaway for others reading this post… Always treat separately. One severely infected anemone can take down another one that’s salvageable. People think they increase their chances by purchasing multiple anemones, but then try to QT them together or place them directly in their DT.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back