Anemone DOA?

jtm235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this rainbow bubble tip nem dead? Was shipped overnight from NYC to upstate NY with heating pads.

IMG_2440.jpg IMG_2441.jpg IMG_2442.jpg

OP
OP
J

jtm235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks pretty bad. Does he smell or have goop stuff fall off when you handled him?
It had a mild smell when I opened the bag. no pieces fell off yet off but plenty of smaller organic matter was in the bag...can't tell if it's detritus or anemone though.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had a mild smell when I opened the bag. no pieces fell off yet off but plenty of smaller organic matter was in the bag...can't tell if it's detritus or anemone though.
Yeah it might be able to recover, dead nems fall apart and stink to high helheim! I would let him go in the tank (turn off flow) and let his foot attach (if he can) and then let him do his thing and get comfortable. All you can really do for the poor guy

OP
OP
J

jtm235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it might be able to recover, dead nems fall apart and stink to high helheim! I would let him go in the tank (turn off flow) and let his foot attach (if he can) and then let him do his thing and get comfortable. All you can really do for the poor guy
Here is a better pic of the organic matter

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
J

jtm235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be harmful to the other tank inhabitants if he disintegrates?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be harmful to the other tank inhabitants if he disintegrates?
yes, keep a close eye on it and make sure wave makers/pumps are covered so if it detaches sometime it cant get blown in one of those, that would be bad for the whole tank

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better pic of the organic matter
The medical term for this state is 'mostly dead.' The organic matter is most likely necrotic flesh. Do not put this nem in a tank with other living creatures imo. The shed flesh can spread the infecting bacteria to other organisms and will foul the water as they rot.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Maybe a 10% chance this recovers if you can treat it, 0% otherwise, but you should get a DOA credit regardless. I've never seen a competent vendor screw up a BTA shipment this badly.

OP
OP
J

jtm235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The medical term for this state is 'mostly dead.' The organic matter is most likely necrotic flesh. Do not put this nem in a tank with other living creatures imo. The shed flesh can spread the infecting bacteria to other organisms and will foul the water as they rot.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Maybe a 10% chance this recovers if you can treat it, 0% otherwise, but you should get a DOA credit regardless. I've never seen a competent vendor screw up a BTA shipment this badly.
Thanks for all the info...I went with my gut instinct and did not put him in the tank...It's still in the acclimating container in the tank (for temperature regulation) and showing extremely minimal signs of life such as individual tentacles moving periodically. I was replacing shipping water with my tank water to export any harmful stuff accumulating. I do not have antibiotics... There is a store close to me but they're not open currently, and I don't know if they sell that stuff.

Based on this info would you say I should euthanize?

I plan on writing a negative review for Manhattan Aquariums...I don't understand how he could get that unhealthy in less than 24 hours.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info...I went with my gut instinct and did not put him in the tank...It's still in the acclimating container in the tank (for temperature regulation) and showing extremely minimal signs of life such as individual tentacles moving periodically. I was replacing shipping water with my tank water to export any harmful stuff accumulating. I do not have antibiotics... There is a store close to me but they're not open currently, and I don't know if they sell that stuff.

Based on this info would you say I should euthanize?

I plan on writing a negative review for Manhattan Aquariums...I don't understand how he could get that unhealthy in less than 24 hours.
ideal antibiotics would be cipro and amoxicillin, or chemiclean (erythromycin) if those aren't available. is it gripping with its foot at all?

if it's a valuable strain of entacmea you could try to resurrect it. 100% water changes twice a day until you can get your hands on meds (chewy.com aqua cipro and aqua mox, treatment instructions: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/). it's also helpful just to go through the treatment process, even if the nem might be doomed, to build up your treatment skills for any future anemone issues.

If it's not a pricey strain or you can't spare the time & money to play Nem Hospital, I would dispose of it. hopefully MA has a good DOA policy.

OP
OP
J

jtm235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ideal antibiotics would be cipro and amoxicillin, or chemiclean (erythromycin) if those aren't available. is it gripping with its foot at all?

if it's a valuable strain of entacmea you could try to resurrect it. 100% water changes twice a day until you can get your hands on meds (chewy.com aqua cipro and aqua mox, treatment instructions: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/). it's also helpful just to go through the treatment process, even if the nem might be doomed, to build up your treatment skills for any future anemone issues.

If it's not a pricey strain or you can't spare the time & money to play Nem Hospital, I would dispose of it. hopefully MA has a good DOA policy.
It was not gripping in the slightest...In fact I noticed there was an increasing amount of organic matter floating around so I decided to ice bath and dispose (not sure if this is the proper protocol for anemones).

Good to know though regarding the treatment - definitely going to acquire some of that stuff for future use. I will probably not attempt getting one shipped after this experience. They did fully refund me but it seemed like they knew what they sent had issues, by the tone and willingness.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back