Anemone Doesnt look good

RugglesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color of the anemone has all but gone & it seems about the same size if not a bit smaller than when we brought it home in Early September. i know the shrimp messes with it. i caught the cleaner shrimp poking its mouth, the anemone spit up the food i had given it a bit earlier & the cleaner shrimp took it. have noticed its mouth open here and there but not all day. the first pic where it looks like its guts are coming out was last night & the darker blue pic is from just now. any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_5413.jpeg IMG_5431.jpeg

OP
OP
RugglesReef

RugglesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76459117-11D4-4308-B76A-469B9D2FEDD1.jpeg

it used to look like this. Sorry we’re super new to all this
ok so today back to looking kind of sketchy, it looks like its mouth is open and some black thing is coming out? its tiny compared to yesterday. im sorry for all the questions, just worried this guy isnt doing well and dont want it to suffer. we're still learning! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 34

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters (salinity, ph, nitrate, phosphate, etc, and brands of test kits used)? Lighting?

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that BTA's need zero feeding. When an anemone is still getting settled the last thing to do is start trying to make it eat. Yours looks fine to me as they will inflate and deflate all the time.

OP
OP
RugglesReef

RugglesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your system? Nems need a very established stable environment.
unsure how old from the start as we got it used with tons of Coralline algae on the back wall but empty, no live rock or water in it. We started the tank in mid August with new live rock and saltwater from the store. i see typically you want to wait 6 months or more to add an anemone once the tank is more established. i got overruled and we got one.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unsure how old from the start as we got it used with tons of Coralline algae on the back wall but empty, no live rock or water in it. We started the tank in mid August with new live rock and saltwater from the store. i see typically you want to wait 6 months or more to add an anemone once the tank is more established. i got overruled and we got one.
I get overruled a lot also so I know your situation. They are just difficult in a new set up so just try and keep stable parameters and good light for him. Make sure you have appropriate nem covers on your powerheads.

OP
OP
RugglesReef

RugglesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that BTA's need zero feeding. When an anemone is still getting settled the last thing to do is start trying to make it eat. Yours looks fine to me as they will inflate and deflate all the time.
ok good, yea its just strange, one min its big and looking good and next its like tiny and its mouth is open. doesnt happen all the time but just trying to get a handle on whats normal and abnormal with these

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok good, yea its just strange, one min its big and looking good and next its like tiny and its mouth is open. doesnt happen all the time but just trying to get a handle on whats normal and abnormal with these
They do defecate from the same location as they swallow. Don't feed directly, are there fishes in the tank?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just acclimating still? Mine went through many strange faces/phases before it finally stabilized it seems. I also got one too early but somehow made it work (so far). These things can live a really long time (forever maybe?) so thier timeline may be different than ours. Give it some time, good light and stable water and you got a great shot

OP
OP
RugglesReef

RugglesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do defecate from the same location as they swallow. Don't feed directly, are there fishes in the tank?
Oh, you know i never even thought of that. makes sense everyone poops. lol. Yea we have 6 fish in there. two clown, small box fish, valentini puffer, diamond goby & a Lawnmower blenny.

OP
OP
RugglesReef

RugglesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just acclimating still? Mine went through many strange faces/phases before it finally stabilized it seems. I also got one too early but somehow made it work (so far). These things can live a really long time (forever maybe?) so thier timeline may be different than ours. Give it some time, good light and stable water and you got a great shot

ok cool, its sounding like all this is relatively normal behavior for them when they are introduced. It probably is still just getting acclimated. really only had it a bit over a month & it has "good" days and "bad" days, i guess just like the rest of us. lol. i appreciate everyone's time & help with our anemone!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a inside.jpg
Yes, the anemone will do nicely with food cycled through the fishes. If the clowns are dwelling in the nem they will feed and nuture it, ime. A coral or nem with a tending clown are generally going to live and thrive (if the clownfish don't tend it to death) much better than a solo nem or coral without the care of the fish.

OP
OP
RugglesReef

RugglesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a inside.jpg
Yes, the anemone will do nicely with food cycled through the fishes. If the clowns are dwelling in the nem they will feed and nuture it, ime. A coral or nem with a tending clown are generally going to live and thrive (if the clownfish don't tend it to death) much better than a solo nem or coral without the care of the fish.
The clownfish havnt been dwelling in the nem yet. any way to help facilitate this?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back