Anemone Help! Damaged?

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I recently got an anemone from my LFS, It looked great in the tank there, but since I’ve been home it has this weird cloud like puffy area. Idk if it was damaged when the store owner tried to take it off the rock or what happened but I just want to make sure everything is ok? It has opened up a bit but that looks concerning to me. Let me know what you all think, Thank you!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's split in half from the mouth. How long has it been like this?

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's split in half from the mouth. How long has it been like this?
I bought it today and it was like this since I got home, i’m assuming he damaged it taking it off the rock? This has been like 5 hours!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it today and it was like this since I got home, i’m assuming he damaged it taking it off the rock? This has been like 5 hours!
It's very possible that it was damaged removing from the rock, which is ridiculous.

Also possible to stress of removing and transporting made it start splitting but that would be very fast in my opinion..

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible that it was damaged removing from the rock, which is ridiculous.

Also possible to stress of removing and transporting made it start splitting but that would be very fast in my opinion..
Oh wow okay, thank you. Should I go return it, exchange it, or leave it be and see how it goes?! I just don’t wanna get screwed over! Thanks you for the response!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it came like that from the LFS, did you not notice it was ripped in half before putting it in your tank? Or did it look fine, but starting tearing itself apart in your tank? How long have you had it?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 5 hours is a little too fast for this to be a split (though I have seen weirder things), I would guess the employee ripped it off the rock a little too forcefully and nearly ripped it in half. I would call/send pictures/bring it back if necessary and demand a refund/replacement. Next time it may be a good idea to just buy the rock the anemone is on it the person getting it isn’t experienced. If it’s on the glass, that’s a little easier, but most lfs that are serious about quality livestock will have their anemones in baskets with rubble, so this isn’t an issue.

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it came like that from the LFS, did you not notice it was ripped in half before putting it in your tank? Or did it look fine, but starting tearing itself apart in your tank? How long have you had it?
It looked great at the store, he took it in the back to take it off the rock and came back with it in the bag. It was all closed up and stuff and i’ve never had an anemone so I didn’t know why it should look like but it had this tear the whole time from the car to acclimation to the tank. So I assume it was the owner of the store that ripped it or something? I got it today! So like I said, didn’t know that was a red flag at first

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 5 hours is a little too fast for this to be a split (though I have seen weirder things), I would guess the employee ripped it off the rock a little too forcefully and nearly ripped it in half. I would call/send pictures/bring it back if necessary and demand a refund/replacement. Next time it may be a good idea to just buy the rock the anemone is on it the person getting it isn’t experienced. If it’s on the glass, that’s a little easier, but most lfs that are serious about quality livestock will have their anemones in baskets with rubble, so this isn’t an issue.
Ok thank you so much! I’ll head back there tomorrow! Regardless, is there a chance it will recover on its own?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, at that point your best bet for survival would be to cut it clean in half, however, if you can get a refund that would be a better alternative.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call or email your LFS now though, leave a message if they are closed, just so they are aware of the issue. Ideally, email or FB message so you can attach photos.

brode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take every precaution you can and return it or quarantine it, if it was damaged and dyes it can reek havoc on your tank. I had this occur several years ago and I lost several fish and corals and have quarantined ever since.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back