Anemone Help

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a bubble anemone to my 35 gallon tank 3 days ago. The first couple of days he looked happy and healthy and my clowns would go in and out of it. It started on a rock and then moved to the bottom of the tank on the second day. On the third day I saw it seemed to shrivel and white stringy mucous stuff was coming out of it. The mucous has stopped but it is still not as open as it was on day 1. Is it dying? I'm worried my lighting is wrong even though I was told it was okay. I attached a screenshot of the specs of my light along with pics of my anemone on day 1 and day 3. If it is my lighting, can someone recommend a light?

Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 6.09.11 PM.png IMG-2520.PNG IMG-2519.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes, this light insufficient. They need moderate to medium light and water flow
Too little light and they climb towards light . Too much light and they hide and shrivel
Too much flow and they hide in a crevice and too little flow and they climb towards the power head

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks like a brand new setup .
The lights state they are for soft and some lps corals . I would only assume it’s not quite enough for anemones or sps .
I’m most cases it takes a few days for a anemone to settle in a new system but be warned it will most likely travel please
Do yourself a favour aid get covers for any wave makers or power heads .

OP
OP
Cina

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 years old. I just added some base rock, which is the white rock you see in the picture. I hear what you all are saying about the light, but I'm so confused because the light I have was on a list of best lights for anemones on a website that looked pretty reputable. Also, the anemone seems to be doing way better (see attached photo).

What light would you recommend I get for a 36 gallon? My tank has a lid and I'd really like to keep the lid if possible, but if I need to remove it to keep my anemone and provide sufficient light I will.

Much thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-2527.PNG
    IMG-2527.PNG
    823.6 KB · Views: 50

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 years old. I just added some base rock, which is the white rock you see in the picture. I hear what you all are saying about the light, but I'm so confused because the light I have was on a list of best lights for anemones on a website that looked pretty reputable. Also, the anemone seems to be doing way better (see attached photo).

What light would you recommend I get for a 36 gallon? My tank has a lid and I'd really like to keep the lid if possible, but if I need to remove it to keep my anemone and provide sufficient light I will.

Much thanks!

When it comes to lighting, there are TWO things to consider; spread and penetration. It isn't enough to light the tank. You must light the tank with sufficient penetration so that ample PAR levels are attained at the tank bottom.

Spread is the area light covers at the tank's bottom. If you take a flashlight, turn it on and point it at a wall, the spot on the wall gets bigger and smaller based on how far you are from the wall. The same is true with tank lighting; you can adjust your light spread based on how high above the tank you mount the light.

Penetration is the amount of power lighting has at the deepest point in the tank. Adequate PAR levels at the tank bottom ensures that you have adequate PAR throughout the tank.

As has already been mentioned, you Nem moves about the tank in an effort to find a spot which provides it with proper light and flow. Proper lighting doesn't necessarily mean insufficient lighting. Too much light can also be improper.

Be patient; your Nem may find a suitable spot in the tank and thrive. But to recommend a light, the dimensions of your tank are required.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run this light over a quarantine tank 10 hours a day and it won't even grow algae. It is definitely insufficient for an anenome.

With that said, I'm not convinced that the issue. The tank looks brand new and sterile which is usually the recipe for disaster.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Much thanks!

It is difficult to find credible information in this hobby. It is why I tell people getting into the hobby to register here on R2R.

Local fish stores are struggling to compete with on their on line counterpart. So they tend to direct people in a way that will put money in their business. What is in the best interest of the hobbyist and the inhabitants of the tank are secondary.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so confused because the light I have was on a list of best lights for anemones on a website that looked pretty reputable. Also, the anemone seems to be doing way better (see attached photo).
Best to never go back to that website because, tbh, that light is pretty bad.
What is the footprint of the tank as well as budget because these will help narrow down lights that work for you. After you get those 2 you can start looking by tank aesthetics. Different lights have different shimmer and some are more focused on whiter tanks or bluer tanks depending on what you find more visually attractive. There is also different mounting options depending on the tank lid.

I would also suggest using something like a net top if you dont have one already as they are better for light and O2 exchange (O2 will also depend if you are running as sump of protein skimmer but more never hurts)

OP
OP
Cina

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to never go back to that website because, tbh, that light is pretty bad.

What is the footprint of the tank as well as budget because these will help narrow down lights that work for you. After you get those 2 you can start looking by tank aesthetics. Different lights have different shimmer and some are more focused on whiter tanks or bluer tanks depending on what you find more visually attractive. There is also different mounting options depending on the tank lid.

I would also suggest using something like a net top if you dont have one already as they are better for light and O2 exchange (O2 will also depend if you are running as sump of protein skimmer but more never hurts)
My tank is 30 inches wide, 11 inches deep, 20 inches tall. My budget for new lighting is $150. We prefer white light but blue is fine too. I'm really trying to provide this anemone with the right conditions so lighting recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Cina

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run this light over a quarantine tank 10 hours a day and it won't even grow algae. It is definitely insufficient for an anenome.

With that said, I'm not convinced that the issue. The tank looks brand new and sterile which is usually the recipe for disaster.
I'm curious why you are convinced my tank is brand new and sterile. I've had it for 2 years.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting, 30inch by 11inch isnt the greatest as many lights are made for either 18" by 18" or 24" by 24" spread. There are still some that can work for this. I would probably go with 2x Orphek Or3 or 2xquanta reef bars for a tank like this but they would be out of the budget. 21ledusa has their reefbar pros that seem like a good alternative but i havent researched much about them. For any reef bar at least 2 should be used for a 20" deep tank.
Alternatively, you could look at lights like smatfarms, noopsyche or ai prime. You can add one for now and one later, but you might have light spill unless you mounted them closer to the water level, but the ends of the tank would be a little shadowed until you got the second fixture

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious why you are convinced my tank is brand new and sterile. I've had it for 2 years.
I'm convinced your tank IS brand new? News to me.

I stated above "the tank LOOKS brand new and sterile". That is far from a definitive.

As to why, you posted two pictures in the original post. In those pics 3 of 4 visible rocks are Stark white, likely new, and rather biologically sterile.

I did say I'm not convinced the light is the issue, which I still stand by. Anenomes don't close and spew goo, because the lamp isn't strong enough after 3 days. There's more to it.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lost in sauce is right about the anemone though. 3 days wouldnt be enough for low light to effect it that much.

What are the tank parameter (salinity, temp, pH, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity)? Also which test kits are you using (please not API as those belong in the trash imo)? Do you use ro/di water or tap and conditioner?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also should add a lot of times when I have gotten a new anemone it has pushed out poop or some zooxanthellae while also shrinking and blowing back up (this can be due to it moving its foot into crevices as it locates a position to stick to). What is worse is if it stays deflated and/or has its mouth pushed out far or gaping. Yours could just be getting used to its new tank so I wouldnt freak out just yet, just in case you were worried

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is fine. Maybe you would need a second one if anything. But if the anemone isn’t wondering around looking for light then it’s probably not a light problem yet. Tank stability with the right parameters is number 1.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot that noopsyche has a nano led. 2x the noopsyche k7 mini is a little outside of the budget but might be the best budget option for a tank in your size if not going with the reef bars

OP
OP
Cina

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lost in sauce is right about the anemone though. 3 days wouldnt be enough for low light to effect it that much.

What are the tank parameter (salinity, temp, pH, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity)? Also which test kits are you using (please not API as those belong in the trash imo)? Do you use ro/di water or tap and conditioner?
I use tap and conditioner. I am using API. It's the only one available in the stores near me. What do you recommend I use? Here are my parameters:

Salinity:
pH: 8.2
temp: 76
nitrate: 20

I don't have anything to test Phosphate, Calcium, or Alkalinity so I'm not sure what those numbers are, which I imagine is bad. I can run to the store and get something to test today but chances are it'll be API.

OP
OP
Cina

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also should add a lot of times when I have gotten a new anemone it has pushed out poop or some zooxanthellae while also shrinking and blowing back up (this can be due to it moving its foot into crevices as it locates a position to stick to). What is worse is if it stays deflated and/or has its mouth pushed out far or gaping. Yours could just be getting used to its new tank so I wouldnt freak out just yet, just in case you were worried
Thanks...I am extremely worried.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back