Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went looking for my old api kit
I’ve must have thrown out the alkalinity kit
While I am running rodi water for my ato I thought it would be a great time to test

OP
OP
Cina

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is 4x the amount of lights being used currently and 3.5x the budget they put down, so probably not the best option given the budget. I also think you might have missed that it was 11 wide and not water depth.
TBH I think that Orpheks or Quanta reef would probably have been a better budget option for your tank as you could use less light fixtures to accomplish the same thing and have room to expand if you wanted to use them on a larger or deeper tank
@dedragon I’m looking up Orphex online and there are so many different ones. I found one that said it was only 5 watts so that can’t be the right one. Is there anymore details you can give me to ensure I buy the right one?

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dedragon I’m looking up Orpheus online and there are so many different ones. I found one that said it was only 5 watts so that can’t be the right one. Is there anymore details you can give me to ensure I buy the right one?
they use 5 watt dual chip leds, might have got you confused a bit. I will link them so dw

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cina

Cina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the links. I was looking at how I would mount these to my tank because I have a rimmed tank. It looks like I would have to hang them from the ceiling. I'd rather mount them on a tank if possible so I started searching other forums for anemone lighting. I found a post in another forum where someone said they had a Nicrew 150 reef for their tank that had anemones so I looked that up and saw that it can mount to a rimmed tank. Would the Nicrew 150 reef be okay for anemones?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep they would still work for anemones but I have less info on this light than others. I tend to stay away from leds like that due to the amount of discoball effect on them and those are more for tanks that are 24" by 24" as well. Probably would be better with 2 of the smaller leds from them (50w), but if I was to go by the budget I would still probably lean towards the 2x noopsyche k7 mini over the nicrew based on the more compact led cluster and their presence on the forum.
Not gonna go into led optics as you will be new too most of these leds and wouldnt probably realize either way unless the difference was pointed out in the shimmer lines. Both will work well. You can post about the nicrew leds and ask for people to share their opinions of them vs other brand leds as well as footprint or mounting options.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first led fixture I had, I built and soldered together, put on lenses, etc. I would say any of the options would still be a step up from that and those still grew corals well, but where I learned about how much I hated the discoball effect and I am very particular about it when I see it in any leds light

Also double check to make sure these mount to rimmed tanks (got away from those as well, will only do rimless or eurobraced now but everyone has their own personal tastes)

sezaro21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also should add a lot of times when I have gotten a new anemone it has pushed out poop or some zooxanthellae while also shrinking and blowing back up (this can be due to it moving its foot into crevices as it locates a position to stick to). What is worse is if it stays deflated and/or has its mouth pushed out far or gaping. Yours could just be getting used to its new tank so I wouldnt freak out just yet, just in case you were worried

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back