Anemone Hitchhiker Id, Is it bad or ok

Icedtealeaf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF447F3A-A318-4755-835E-00A5FA77B7EE_1_105_c.jpeg
I just started my first reef tank yesterday, and on my piece of live rock I found this little guy, im conflicted becauseI really like him, but he is also possibly bad for the aquarium. He is very small and is brownish orange with a green middle, he is penny sized. I like him a lot but maybe he's bad? What is he?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF447F3A-A318-4755-835E-00A5FA77B7EE_1_105_c.jpeg
I just started my first reef tank yesterday, and on my piece of live rock I found this little guy, im conflicted becauseI really like him, but he is also possibly bad for the aquarium. He is very small and is brownish orange with a green middle, he is penny sized. I like him a lot but maybe he's bad? What is he?
Oh he is cool!!!

OP
OP
Icedtealeaf

Icedtealeaf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalkwasser paste, it is very effective for me.
Hey, so I went to my LFS and I told them about my little dude, and they recommended I get a Berghia Nudi, which I bought expecting great results, and waited, he knows the anemone is there because the tank is quite small but he refuses to touch or go within a few millimeters of it. I feel bad now because the Nudi might die and the research ive done suggests that it only eats Aiptasai, which I don't have. is he gonna die? should I return him? should I give him more time? should I get a filefish temporarily? I have no clue, the tank is still relatively new but everything is thriving so is it ok even? I feel like everything Ive read online conflicts with everything else Ive read online...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I went to my LFS and I told them about my little dude, and they recommended I get a Berghia Nudi, which I bought expecting great results, and waited, he knows the anemone is there because the tank is quite small but he refuses to touch or go within a few millimeters of it. I feel bad now because the Nudi might die and the research ive done suggests that it only eats Aiptasai, which I don't have. is he gonna die? should I return him? should I give him more time? should I get a filefish temporarily? I have no clue, the tank is still relatively new but everything is thriving so is it ok even? I feel like everything Ive read online conflicts with everything else Ive read online...

I would return the berghia. They only eat aiptasia from my understanding. I have never heard of them for majanos.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not impressed with the advice you got from your LFS. You were sold an expensive nudibranch which is used to treat an Aptasia system invasion, not one anemone. I don’t consider manjano anemone a pest just because they are hardy & can multiply.

I don’t fret on Aptasia invasion. In a small tank they are easily eliminated; kalk paste works fine. For in-tank elimination; I use hydrogen peroxide with a syringe or a toothbrush dipped in peroxide every 10 seconds of brushing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back