First time finding a worm. Is it a bristleworm?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first encounter with a hitchhiker in my 18mo reef. All dry rock start so he came in tiny. About 3/4" if I could straighten him out. Found in filter sock, dead I think. I'm sure one of you've seen this before.

IMG_2733.jpeg IMG_2732.jpeg IMG_2731.jpeg

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem I wouldn’t imagine?
I personally don’t like the sight of them. Usually they repopulate fast especially if you’re over feeding and almost looks like an infestation. There’s traps you can buy to lower the numbers, but you’ll never 100% remove them from what I’ve understood. Some people like them as CUC. That kind of bristleworm shouldn’t cause any direct hard though

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like the sight of them. Usually they repopulate fast especially if you’re over feeding and almost looks like an infestation. There’s traps you can buy to lower the numbers, but you’ll never 100% remove them from what I’ve understood. Some people like them as CUC. That kind of bristleworm shouldn’t cause any direct hard though
Well said! He said basically everything you need to know.

I also don't like them, so I make an attempt to take them out, though I am not always successful. Just one thing,  never, and I mean never,  handle them with your hands. They can bite, and the bristles will get into your hands, and can cause pain.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said! He said basically everything you need to know.

I also don't like them, so I make an attempt to take them out, though I am not always successful. Just one thing,  never, and I mean never,  handle them with your hands. They can bite, and the bristles will get into your hands, and can cause pain.
I actually picked it up out of the sink when I was rinsing out my socks. It didn't bother me at all which made me question if it was actually a bristleworm. Perhaps the tiny size makes it less of a handling problem.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I likely do overfeed for fear of my Tangs getting aggressive, my Flame Hawk turning on my shrimp or my two sand sifting starfish starving. I have three 5-6" tangs and a 6" foxface and feed a frozen seafood mix twice a day along with some pellets and freeze dried krill. Also a sheet of nori three times per week.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually picked it up out of the sink when I was rinsing out my socks. It didn't bother me at all which made me question if it was actually a bristleworm. Perhaps the tiny size makes it less of a handling problem.
It's small size most likely is why you felt nothing. I touched one by accident to, recently while making my aqua scape, and I felt nothing, and it was pretty small.

I have that exact pink one, except bigger in my tank right now.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's small size most likely is why you felt nothing. I touched one by accident to, recently while making my aqua scape, and I felt nothing, and it was pretty small.

I have that exact pink one, except bigger in my tank right now.
Where does he hang out? Do you plan on doing anything about it?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does he hang out? Do you plan on doing anything about it?
He has a little cave on the side of my tank by my bed, because of course, why would he choose any other spot?! Lol.

Anyways, whenever I see him, I try to get tweezers and take him out, but he is fast and whenever I try to get him, he goes back into his cave.

Today, I have not seen him though. My tank is almost finished cycling, but I just added live rock 2 days ago. There's no food in the tank, and yesterday night I noticed he was coming pretty far out of his tank, probably because he is getting hungry. He is usually out exploring his cave right now but he is not.

I am fine if I never see him again because I hate him, and his brothers and sisters.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a little cave on the side of my tank by my bed, because of course, why would he choose any other spot?! Lol.

Anyways, whenever I see him, I try to get tweezers and take him out, but he is fast and whenever I try to get him, he goes back into his cave.

Today, I have not seen him though. My tank is almost finished cycling, but I just added live rock 2 days ago. There's no food in the tank, and yesterday night I noticed he was coming pretty far out of his tank, probably because he is getting hungry. He is usually out exploring his cave right now but he is not.

I am fine if I never see him again because I hate him, and his brothers and sisters.
And would you look at that, he is awake.

Attachments

• 17083942903565568294089307890229.jpg
    17083942903565568294089307890229.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 35

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't bother some people as much...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back